I have just bought the ArduPilot Mega 2560 Full Kit... plus the Triple Axis Magnetometer HMC5883L. I should have it built over the weekend.. then i'm off to a my mates machine shop, and i'll make the splitter plate for the lower frame onto which i am going to fit the Ardupilot. the magnetometer i'll put on the tail as suggested. I am going to use my X-cell Razor 600E. For those that dont know its around the 50 size nitro heli.

Do i need to buy any other sensors i.e. the Sonar... i can fly a helicopter all day long but this is my first time flying one with stabilisation so any tips would be gratefully appreciated.

If this works well then i am going to try and use it on my x-cell gasser. i can get up to 20 minute flights with this. But i think for the time being a battery 600 is the way to go.

i'll post some pictures when i have it all together.

Setup Instructions

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have just found where the vibration was coming from, a slightly bent head axle. Have a new one on order, looking forward to testing on friday,

• I was looking around to see if it is possible to use s.bus with the apm. would it possible to add this feature maybe in the future? 

• This is a great video showing the DJI Ace one against the Align APS system, I'm hoping that i can get somewhere near to this with the Ardupilot H. The Align system looks pretty good to me @ £499 against the £2500 of the DJI, if i can get the APM @ around £200 to work as well as well as these two systems then i'll be really happy. 

• Had a few good flights today, found out that the battery tray was vibrating causing a leans issue, at one point bad enough for me to do a fast landing. After a lot of foam packing around the battery and a couple of cable ties i had a 2 really good flights.

The Alt_Hold needs re tuning and i'll make a sub frame for the battery tray. Happy now that i'm finally moving in the right direction.

Just checked the logs and just seems to be a lot of files 1025 with no data. 

• Tuned the Loiter PID's today and had some really good results, so i'm off to the field to try and fly a way point mission.

We are taking video, so will post another blog when i get back.

• I had some reslly good results today from the Razor600, if you have a look at my latest blog you will see the video, pretty poor quality, but only had my still cam with me, 

So the lessons learned, do not use trim on the TX, i use quite a large P for stabilise around P2.5 and a very low number for Loiter. My setup is posted below.

I'll be able to build on this, will be testing as soon as the wind dies down. Good to know that it can cope with gusty winds, some of the plane guys at my club field (8ft wing span), had to go round 3 times it was that bad, so i am really happy with how the whole thing went.

Good Loiter Test.param

• I have quite a few video and pictures in the APM2 (traditional heli) forum here.
  • I've been looking on the interweb :) trying to find anyone else with some video or pics of their traditional helicopters fitted with APM, would be really good to see other peoples tests....anyone else out there ?

• I have update the setup manual..... link in the heading at the top of page....

• Running through the software setup 2.6 on V1.0 MP, having trouble setting up the swash plate, i can achieve the correct collective travel, little bit hit and miss but i got there, i cant see any setup for the aileron and elevator travel...

The rest of it is pretty much as standard, i did try to go into the CLI and do it the old fashioned way, but that dosent seem to be working, the swash plate is still active..... 

This reply was deleted.

Activity