Blimp Gondola Sources

Hi, I've been lurking long enough and want to build myself one of these blimps. First step is buying the envelope and gondola. I saw that earlier versions used the Plantraco but the newer version uses the Tri-Turbo model off the shark.The shark seems to be sold out at the linked place, I've googled around a bit and mostly found envelopes for the Tri-Turbo, but no gondolas or complete setups. Has anyone found them anywhere? Should I just get a Plantraco, why was it not used in the recent version?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Anyone know a good way to get helium? I see target sell tanks online for 50 bucks, has anyone tried other approaches? I'm going to see what sorts of prices I get at the welding shops.

Also, how often do the envelopes need topping off or helium replacement?
  • I found a site with hoverblimps. (hoverblimps)
    Maybe this has an interesting gondola as well. Does anyone have experience with this thing? I can't find any specs or reviews.
  • Just a thought, but has anyone ever tried one of those large party balloons as an envelope? You could suspend a small PCB gondola underneath with light netting, or string and double-sided tape.
  • Here is a place you can buy RC blimps, but I do not know how much they can carry.
  • I did a quick search and found that all of the earlier sources I'd seen for the Tri-Turbofan blimp are now sold out. I bought 2 of these kits and have no need for them, so send me a PM if you want to buy them from me.

I have one of the Plantraco MicroBlimps - as discussed in this thread. It's cool, but the envelope is quite small and the rotors are not powerful. Also, one of my motors died after a few days and I had to send the "gondola" back to Plantraco for repair.
  • The only blimp Plantraco currently sell is the MicroBlimp

http://www.microflight.com/Online-Catalog/R-C-Toys/MicroBlimp-RTF-Set

which is a lot smaller than their Tri-Turbo Fan model used to be, so my guess is that their current design just won't carry the weight of the extra payload..?
  • 3D Robotics
    Neither the SkyTec Shark or the Plantraco Tri Turbofan are made anymore, unfortunately (if you google around you can find a few in remainder sales, but they won't last long). As a result, we've switching to the Mach III (http://www.rctoys.com/rc-toys-and-parts/MACH-3Z-GOODYEAR/RC-BLIMPS-...), which is a more expensive ($54) but comes with a usable 52" envelope with fins. The only downside (aside from the price) is the that the thrusters aren't ducted, so they're a bit less efficient.

Stay away from the Megatech blimps, as their envelopes are too small to carry any extra weight (they're also more expensive than the Mach IIIs and have more silly lights and other unnecessary electronics to remove.
This reply was deleted.

Activity