Replies

• These guys are an Avro partner in Canada and meet Transport Canada requirements.

http://www.droneinsurancedepot.com/

• Model air clubs have their own insurance, which covers accidental damage to 3rd parties. But their insurance does not cover, pilot error or negligence.

Why would some company insure a $4000 dollars quadcopter or drone? This hobby has risks and those entering it, should learn to accept them. I've been in this hobby for 10 years, I've had many crashes due to piloting error and mechanical errors, I have invested a lot of money into this hobby, but I've learned to accept the risks involved with it.

• Of note to Canadian operators:

Transport Canada is considering dropping the insurance requirement altogether for a (prospective) Very Small UAV class when they come out with sweeping new regulations for the end of next year.

(because they want to bring all users - including recreational - into the same regulatory regime)

The class would be similar or identical to the current sub-2 kg exemption class (they're also considering whether to go with a fixed-weight threshold or a product of weight and maximum speed).

Fingers crossed

(though sub-2 kg is still a steep hurdle for commercial use)

George 

• Hello,

I am an aviation specific insurance broker. I work with all of the highest rated aviation insurance companies (there are currently about eleven of them). As of right now, there are three aviation insurance companies that offer policies for UAVs (AIG Aerospace, Global Aerospace, and United States Specialty Insurance Company). I can offer hull and liability coverage or liability only. These policies are for commercial operators, not pleasure only flyers. If you would like more information, please contact me at the email address below.

joe@bullockagency.com

Thanks,

Joe 

• Hi Joe

It's interesting that Canadians have so many more options for insuring drones than you guys have in the U.S. The various Lloyd's syndicates (AMLIN, Ortac, Kiln, Catlin etc) write the majority of the unmanned aircraft insurance in Canada. Domestically we have AIG, Allianz, CAIM, GAUM and Catlin/XL with Catlin & GAUM being the major domestic drone insurers.

cheers

David

Canadians tend to be less litigious than their american brothers.

-more risk equals less carriers, I suppose.

• AVRO Insurance in Vancouver is the leading UAV  insurance provider in Canada.

• Drop me a note to eric@uascareercentral.com we come across new providers from time to time.. 

• You are required to be covered for 3rd liability here in Switzerland. But no insurance on the craft itself - that would be madness.

• They did, but the insurance was abused.
This reply was deleted.

Activity