Replies

• Hey guys this is my first post and please redirect if its in the wrongs spot. Im about to spend 950 dollars on a drone that is a serious upgrade from my basic one. I have listed everything the comes with it and am just curious if its a good set up and what you guys think its worth. Am I paying to much for what I'm getting? Being new to this I want to make sure Im not getting taken.

Tbs discovery Frame 
    Tbs core with amp meter
    Love seat 
    Vtx mount 
    Dji flame wheel arms 
    Servo extensions 
    Version 2 900kv motors and 30 amp escs 
    Dji naza v2 plus GPS 
    2 sets of self tightening carbon props 
    Tbs tin shield 
    Velcro tbs battery straps 
    Self tightening prop adapters for motors 
    Tbs 3300 mah batt 
    Tbs 4500 mah I batt 
    Wild Scorpion 4200 mah batts 
    Spectrum dx6
    Fatshark predator v2 goggles and tx/camera 
    Lipo charger 

• Order a set of the extras the other day. Thanks!

I look forward to the v tail and other options. I already have the paintball container for the retracting camera when you publish the build.

I would love to see a couple of different, durable wing sets. I was thinking it would be neat to have different wings for different wind conditions.

Also, mine has the carbon/glass tail boom.  How did you cut those perfect servo holes in yours without shredding it?
  • Dave,

i just ordered two sets  from you as soon as i woke up  !!!

• Chris,

It's been some time since I have thought to check your site and I am pleased to see how much you have accomplished.  Since the introduction of the Nitroplanes Predator, about two years ago, they have come out with a composite Reaper and just recently, a composit RQ-11 Raven.  With these options for basic airframes, now readily available, your group should have a blast up-fitting them with the latest and greatest technology.  Here are a few links;

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10232186/tm.htm

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9691415/tm.htm

http://www.nitroplanes.com/mq9.html

http://www.nitroplanes.com/projet-003-rq11.html

• Apologies as I might be way out here but has anyone thought of reinforcing "prone" areas of the airframe with 3M fibreglass-weave "bullet" tape...? It's perfect for protecting foam such as wingtips etc, cheap to buy and easy to apply. I have used this stuff successfully on all sorts of models and it applies a lot of protection and a certain element of rigidity for little gain in weight.

• Paul,

i would be interested in CF/GF/Kevlar  wing/ elevator /rudder  for the Nitroplanes .com   RQ-11 model  to replace the current balsa/film assemblies

• Hello,

Yes I would like a 1/1 Raven. Paul I noticed on your spreadsheet video and rc frequency 2.4GHz and Xbee 900 Mhz. No interference problems? I have read of people incorporating 1.2GHZ video to avoid any problems. For now, I'll utilize Chris' methodology until I can get into the groove of things. I was trying to put together the 'perfect' system and forgot about just getting started in a direction. 

Thanks for your comments

Ron

• What is an estimated cost?
  • I would like to get an idea of how many people would be interested in a UAV similiar to the Raven?

When I say similar, I mean with some modifications like a T-tail for crash tolerance (landing in tall grass), as well as changes to the airfoil for something quite efficient at low-Reynolds numbers, as well as a few other modifications.  The UAV I have designed is built entirely from Carbon, Kevlar and glass (none of that brittle balsa stuff).  Here are some of the specs:

Wingspan: 9'

Length: 6'

Payload: 16 lb. max (though a 20 lb airplane is hard to throw!)

Storage: Pelican Case #1750

Autopilot: UAV Dev-board (though any AP will work)

Materials: Carbon/Fiberglass wings, Carbon/Kevlar fuse, rubber bumper on the bottom (no landing gear)

I initially started this project because the planes available right now are mostly EPP, or some foam equivalent, and honestly the aerodynamics of these RC planes is very poor.  They are also marginally controllable and very inefficient.

I am considering making a small batch of planes, would anyone be interested?  I could also pre-install all of the electronics, servos, motor, battery, etc.

I have worked in the aero industry as an aerodynamicist and flight test engineer for several years working on sub-sonic and supersonic drones, and I fly as a private pilot, so needless to say I am very familiar with this stuff.  Several of the planes I fly personally, I have designed myself and I have built all of them with composite materials.

Anyone interested?

• Well, I made an EPP version of the Raven, but it was before any plans or 3-views were available. I had some definite issues, so I'll have to compare to see whats wrong with mine. Here's the video though.

This reply was deleted.

Activity