UAV DATA LINK----- 802.11G

I AM WORKING ON A UAV THAT WOULD BE CONTROL BY WIFI 802.11G DATA LINK . I ALSO WANT TO STREAM THE VIDEOS FROM MY UAV ... WHAT HARDWARE I NEED ON UAV . I THINK ONE IS WIRELESS ADAPTER. CAN WE CONTROL UAV AND STREAM VIDEO TO GROUND CONTROL SYSTEM SIMU... N I ALSO WANT TO KNOW THAT WHAT IS THE RANGE OF FUTABA 2.4GHZ CONTROLLERS CAN I MERGE IT WITH MY WIFI DATA LINK. OR I ACTUALLU NEED FUTABA?? IS THERE ANY OTHER WAY TO CONTROL UAV THROGH WIFI??? CA N U PLZ SUGGEST WHAT WHICH MICROCONTROLLER R COMPATIBLE WID 802.11G!! I THAT R A LOT OF QUESTIONS!!!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• In Taiwan, There are many amateur release informations about 802.11G communication, You can search "菱形天線 + 山賊"
    as keyword from google. Although You don;t understand Chinese, but you can get some pictures to gauss how the 802.11g can approach the long distance data link.

I know someone has already done it in RC flight for Real time data monitor.
  • You can control a UAV through WiFi - we use a Lantronix Matchport which provides all of the TCP/IP protocol processing and interfaces to the host via a UART. You can use TCP or UDP protocols. Range is not as good as XBee, but we run the Matchport at 2.5Mbps with 1.5Mbps actual throughput - the most you can push through XBee is 80kbps.
  • UDP data grams over 802.11g would be the way to go. The trick is doing all the initialization & handshaking in the 802.11g standard. 1 has to be a WAP. SDIO 802.11g cards were easier to hack. Now it looks like they're all USB & you need a USB host. Better off getting an XBee.
  • Sidz, welcome to DIY Drones,

It is considered bad form to write your entire post in capitals as it's considered shouting and the members here will be less inclined to answer your questions.

There is a lot of very useful information here and a lot of very knowledgeble members. Before posting a question it always pays to search to see if your question has been asked and answered before. There have been a number of disscussions here regarding the range of 2.4ghz systems such as Spektrum. You will not be able to use a Futaba 2.4Ghz receiver and control it using a wireless network adapter on a pc.

Why do you wish to use 802.11G Wifi as your wireless link. There are a number of other frequencies and systems on 2.4Ghz that provide wireless serial communication that may be more suitable.
This reply was deleted.

Activity