Replies

Theres lots of people doing such things Andy, Dean Goedde has been involved with one for a while I believe, not sure what stage its at. The Cambridge chaps are also here somewhere.
  • Gary, have you run across anyone else on the web who is actively pursuing this sort of project?
  • Thanks for posting that link!
    That is way cool!
    Have you seen some of the recent projects where people send up balloons to 75,000+ feet?
    Great video footage on youtube!
  • This reminds me of my previous life in the Army working with weather balloons. For a stretch of about 6 months we used the highest altitude weather balloon the Army has, design burst height was 105,000 feet. We routinely broke 90,000 feet and had many flights break 100,000 feet. There was a group a few years ago that built a radiosonde into a glider and launched it the same way these guys did, after release it would glide back to the launch point so it could be reused. Cool stuff. The balloon they are showing is the ml635, good for a bit over 50,000 feet but a great little balloon.
  • This reminds me of my previous life in the Army working with weather balloons. For a stretch of about 6 months we used the highest altitude weather balloon the Army has, design burst height was 105,000 feet. We routinely broke 90,000 feet and had many flights break 100,000 feet. There was a group a few years ago that built a radiosonde into a glider and launched it the same way these guys did, after release it would glide back to the launch point so it could be reused. Cool stuff. The balloon they are showing is the ml635, good for a bit over 50,000 feet but a great little balloon.
This reply was deleted.

Activity