AC3.3 TradHeli Release Discussion

WARNING to TradHeli users:

Do not attempt to fly AC3.3 until you hear otherwise from me.  I have not even bench tested it yet, let alone test flown it.  There are quite a lot of changes that have gone in that could be crash-o-matic for helicopters.

AC3.3 release for Tradheli is likely to be delayed.

This post will serve as the official release progress thread for TradHeli.

Warning: DO NOT FLY RC6!  It has a critical bug that will likely end in a crash.

Warning for RC5:

RATE_YAW_FILT_HZ param will change defaults from 5Hz to 20Hz to be more suitable for helicopters.  If you have never changed this parameter from 5 before, then it will automatically update the value to 20 without warning.  This much faster filter will probably require reduction in your P and D terms, and the yaw may oscillate badly.  Be prepared to retune these.  As a safety measure, probably cut them in half for your first take-off.

Warning #2 for RC5:

I accidentally broke the Landing Detector.  It will probably never trigger.  You should land in Stabilize mode, or be prepared to shut down the motor as soon as it touches the ground in Alt_Hold, Loiter, Auto, etc.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Basically it try to beat itself to death. The P term is probably on the verge of being to high. I will lower the p term and it should be fine. (not too concerned about it)

• That's a first. I've never seen a pitch oscillation before.  How much higher than Roll was it?

• Pitch was set lower then roll. Not sure on amount I will need to look at the param when i get home. It was the first I saw too. I made the adjustments and all are good with the UAS Gods again. ;)

•  Rob_Lefebvre,Do you want to stop Pixhawk firmware development of the traditionalhelicopter ?

• No, I do now want to stop.  I hope to be able to continue in some way.

• Hi Rob,

I am just now getting my 450 clone built after a couple years of procrastinating!
        I am having so much fun learning.  Still not exactly sure what firmware version I should use, I have APM 2.5, Or if I should go Pixhawk, But anyway I hope you can find time to come visit us all from time to time!

Thanks for Everything,

Darrell

• We all fully support you, the application of traditional helicopter flight control, or promising ...... refueling Rob!

• I like having ch7 and ch8 for extra flight modes, for example, LAND and RTL.

I see in the Copter 3.3 update notes the new parameter RCx_FUNCTION=30 and I am thinking of using this on chs 9 & 10 to control the main and tail motors and prevent them from running when FC is not armed, leaving chs 7&8 free for the extra modes. Since both motors are on ESCs with governors, I don't need the various parameters that would apply to motors ordinarily connected on 7&8... I think. Or am I on tricky territory here?

• Hi,

I made one flight today with :

H_FLYBAR_MODE = 1 and H_TAIL_TYPE = 1 ......using a mini V-bar as FBL system

H_SWASH_TYPE = 1 ... to feed the mini V-bar inputs from the Pixhawk using 3.3.2-rc1

A BIG Thank You to Tridge for making this work !

I was using H_CYC_MAX = 4000 to get 100% at the mini V-bar inputs and H_COL_MAX / MIN to limit collective pitch.

Tried flight modes Acro, PosHold, RTL and Auto without problems. Only problem was occasional tail wag, will have to look at the parameters.

• Hey guys.

I have just installed a new PixHawk with FW 3.3.3 on a traditional Trex 800 Heli.  I am so lost. Is there any documentation, videos or anything like that, that will help me.  I have servos working properly, but besides that I am so lost.  Please help.

Thank you.

David

This reply was deleted.

Activity