Aeronautical Knowledge Test

Hey guys, I am hoping to achieve some feedback on this test, especially as to (where) this can be administered.  I reside in North Carolina, and I have visited the FAA website, which will reveal FAA approved training facilities for you.  Thus far, I have contacted (4) of the North Carolina FAA approved training facilities, which are in fact listed on the FAA site. 

The feedback I receive from all four, are various, but all of them will either laugh at you, by adding that they have never heard of such a thing.  Adding that they would be happy to SELL you the Private Pilot training course, which of course is averaging between $4-6K, or more.

I am (trying) to start an aerial photography business for the Real Estate sector, and later grow into the construction, farming, and infrastructure inspection line of work.  I have already spent roughly $6K on equipment to fly, but if I am (required) to go out and spend another $6K, while getting sucked into a private pilot rating, sorry, I will not do it.  I will go out there and earn money without meeting these regulations, and without receiving a Section 333 exemption.

All of my life, I have always been in compliant with laws, etc., but currently these silly regulations and the fact that I cannot even find the Aeronautical Knowledge Test (which is conducted at an FAA approved training facility), is almost as if the aviation industry is telling you that they DON'T want your kind in THEIR airspace!!

Okay, ranting over with.  Do any of you know WHERE I can be administered the 60 question Aeronautical Knowledge Test in the state of North Carolina??  According to the FAA regulations, you need to have this in order to be qualified for the exemption, so you can go out and start making money.  I have a family to feed.  After being laid off at a local plant, our city is small, and we are so called out in the boonies.  I saw this business as an opportunity to earn a living, as I know there are hundreds of opportunities to be had.  I just need to TRY to be legal, while doing it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Do any of you know WHERE I can be administered the 60 question Aeronautical Knowledge Test in the state of North Carolina??

There is no test yet.  Part 107 has not been adopted or implemented yet by the FAA. https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/rulemaking/recently_publis...

Until part 107 is implemented, you have to have a pilot license to be the PIC on a flight. But you do not need to be licensed to apply to the FAA for the Section 333 exemption.  https://www.dronelaw.pro/do-i-need-a-pilots-license-or-airmans-cert...

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/rulemaking/recently_published/media/2120-AJ60_NPRM_2-15-20…
  • My understanding is that to get a '333' exemption you need a private Pilot's License. (At least the operator of the craft needs it) The Knowledge test I beleieve is part of the yet to be finalized NPRM ( look up FAA-2015-0150  at regulations.gov for all the info, including comments) When the new regulations come out I will be in line looking for a testing site as well, but i have a feeling many places will try to upsell you and try to get you to take the full course.

John

• My understanding is that to get a '333' exemption you need a private Pilot's License. (At least the operator of the craft needs it)

You need one to be the Pilot in Command (PIC).  But you don't need a pilot's license to obtain a section 333. There is an argument that the PIC does not need to be the person flying the sUAS, although need to be responsible for the flight.  

https://www.dronelaw.pro/do-i-need-a-pilots-license-or-airmans-cert...

Do I Need A Pilot's License or Airman Certificate to Apply for a FAA Section 333 Exemption?
      FAA Order 8130.34C (PDF), Airworthiness Certification of Unmanned Aircraft SystemsWhat do you A pilot's license is NOT required to file a petition fo…
  • I agree with you.  I would like to find out some information in this regard as well.  It does seem rather strange that they havent made this information as available.

This reply was deleted.

Activity