Replies

• Hey guys simple solution to power the APM from USB is to simply push the plug in at an angle so the TX or RX do not connect.

Alternatively, just cut the tx and rx on the USB

• Rolf, have you thought about putting the files on a Git repo? Would make updates and mods easier.

• Hi-

Perhaps this code could additionally be implemented in the Teensy to save the additional Arduino?
    http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=4539

Have a nice weekend
  • Excellent thread, many things have been clarified, but guess I'm just bit dense so let me re-confirm one two things.

My objective (if possible) is to have Teensy, minimOSD and 3DR radio at the same time connected.

And I want to do it safely.

1) According to Rana, it is possible to run Teensy, minimOSD and 3DR radio all in parallel. Is that correct? Does this setup need any modifications i.e. cut TX on minimOSD as suggested by Rolf?

2) Am I going to blow Teensy when I connect my APM to PC via USB while Teensy is connected to APM telemetry port?

This said by Rolf made me nervous, although I'm not sure if it applies to my scenario "Yes,cutting the connection between VIN and VUSB makes it save to have the USB and SPort connected at the same time." .... "You must supply +5V to Vin on the Teensy from the S.Port." ... or does this issue exist when one is trying to connect GPS to S.Port only? (which I'm not)

thanks!

• 1. If you are using Teensy, minimOSD and 3DR Radio only the 3DR Radio shall have the TX connected to the APM

2. If the connection VIN to VUSB on the Teensy is not cut, you must be careful  how you power the Teensy, normally S.Port is supplying power to the Teensy. if VIN/VUSB is not cut you will have 2 Power sources and if these are not the same voltage you will drain or source current and possibly destroy the Teensy or the USB.

I don't understand your comment about GPS to S.Port. Normally the S.Port from Teensy is connected to FrSky receiver to get the telemetry to the Taranis Tx and the FrSky receiver is powering the Teensy.

Also be aware of that if you are connecting the USB  to the ATM you will not get any Telemetry data out from it cause they share the same serial port.

/Rolf

• "1. If you are using Teensy, minimOSD and 3DR Radio only the 3DR Radio shall have the TX connected to the APM"

Got it. That makes sense, thank you.

"2. If the connection VIN to VUSB on the Teensy is not cut, you must be careful  how you power the Teensy, normally S.Port is supplying power to the Teensy. if VIN/VUSB is not cut you will have 2 Power sources and if these are not the same voltage you will drain or source current and possibly destroy the Teensy or the USB."

Can you elaborate a bit more where the other power source is coming from? One is from S.Port. On APM side there's only RX, TX and GND. Actually in my case, as you advised, it's going to be RX and GND ... I'm not sure I understand where the 2nd power is comng from?

"I don't understand your comment about GPS to S.Port. Normally the S.Port from Teensy is connected to FrSky receiver to get the telemetry to the Taranis Tx and the FrSky receiver is powering the Teensy."

Disregard. This was from one of the discussions between you and other member here connecting GPS to S.Port ... I guess it's irrelevant in my scenario.

"Also be aware of that if you are connecting the USB  to the ATM you will not get any Telemetry data out from it cause they share the same serial port."

Undersood.

• The teensy is getting the power from the S.Port at the FrSky receiver

the other power comes from the USB connector if connected and VIN/VUSB not cutted.

3702751551?profile=original

• Ah, I was not clear. I was talking about USB on APM wondering when I plug the APM to USB whether there may be an issue in blowing something on Teensy.

...all clear now, thank you. ...back to assembly line ;)

• I've done just that, but didn't get data out of the telemetry port. Wanted to be able to quick test code changes in the teensy, so eventually just powered apm and attachments via battery, plugged teensy into USB and of course had the teensy still connected to the X8R S.Port, and everything worked fine. NOTE: the trace on the teensy is cut so USB is not powering it.

But simply powering the APM via USB will not.

• Thanks!

I'm going to cut the VIN/VUSB just in case! :)

This reply was deleted.

Activity