APM drifting, help needed

I've been having difficulty getting my F450/APM build to work in loiter mode. When I switch into it, the quad just starts to drift away in whatever direction it was headed when I hit the switch and doesn't respond to any control input. I've tried pretty much everything I could find through my searching on google:

• The FC is vibration isolated (although I don't have a cover over the baro, which I'm going to do next)
  • I've recallibrated the compass offsets multiple times
  • the GPS shows good HDOP with between 9 and 11 satellites

and yet the logs just show it drifting... I have attached a log from a flight I did yesterday. I will upload another log later today with a flight where I cover the baro and try poshold to see if that helps any. 

testflight_11-25.log

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Tim - This log shows entering loiter mode only twice, the first time for about one second, and the second time for about 4.6 seconds.  It might be slightly more helpful if you can enable RCIN logging by changing your LOG_BITMASK value from 864 to 894, they try another test flight, leaving it in Loiter a little longer, and sending some input from your sticks.

Another possible explanation: in Loiter mode, stick input is normally (by design) much less responsive than in stabilize mode, so you can expect to need stronger inputs to see aircraft movement.  Maybe it's working but you are expecting a different level of responsiveness.

If it's drifting with no wind, check the accel calibration at flat-and-level.   I like to do the accel leveling with shims (stacks of paper) under each leg  and use a bubble level between the prop hubs to make sure it's perfect.

Loiter can only do corrections within the resolution of the GPS; a little drifting is normal, especially on APM pre-3.3

This reply was deleted.

Activity