Developer

ArduCopter 2.5 released!

Version 2.5 of the ArduCopter code is now available in the AP Mission Planner and in the downloads area!

Enhancements:

1. The first ArduCopter code release optimized for the APM 2.  Leans and drift should be much reduced or even eliminated for most users.  This was accomplished through a number of core improvements to the DCM implementation by Tridge like this one and this one.
  2. Loiter and waypoint following should be improved due to a D term bug fix, some tuning and the improved DCM performance mentioned above.
  3. On start-up, the yaw heading is updated with first successful mag read (so you should no longer see the slow rotation from north to your actual heading).
  4. Increased output rate to ESCs to 490hz.  This update rate is also user selectable using the new RC_SPEED parameter.
  5. hexa copter stability patch bug fix (should resolve slight flattening when pitching forward and accelerating very rapidly).
  6. improved baro filtering
  7. fix to dataflash logging of Mag heading
  8. addition of H1 swash plate type and bug fix for proactive yaw compensation for collective pitch changes for TradHelis.

Tuning:

The default PIDs are optimized for a 3DR/Jdrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props. If you're using more powerful motors/props, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.

While some testers have reported very good flights with the default PIDs, some have reported that this release is a little "sharper" due to the DCM improvements and have found they needed to:

reduce stabilize P by 10% (i.e. 4.5 -> 4.2)

reduce stabilize D by 30% (i.e. 0.15 -> 0.10)

increase rate D from 0 to 0.001

Tuning loiter can be tricky.  Refer to the discussions which will appear below for more community feedback on what parameters work best.

Please post your feedback in this discussion.  For enhancement requests  and bug report, please add them to the arducopter issues list.  When possible please include logs (tlog and/or dataflash) and tell us whether you're using APM1 or APM2 and what version of the software you're using (presumably 2.5 but tell us anyway!).

Thanks for this release go to the developers (both in the core team but also those who have provided bug fixes through the issues list) and also the community members who participated in the previous release thread and provided some great detailed information in the form of issue reports and logs which allowed us to nail some bugs!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I flew my quad with new setup. very sharp. But one of my ESC not very happy with 490hZ. How can reset to 400hZ?

I try to change the value to RC_SPEED it is not accepted. Can you help?

Thanks.

• Hi guys just put together a Xaircraft hexa with KDA 20/22L motors and apm1.

Could someone share some pid settings to get me started please.

Oh and I am using the latest planer code.

Regards Pete

• Developer

ArduCopter V2.6ß - Compass test

Hi all!
    The team is
    working hard to make the experience ArduCopter increasingly stable and pleasant.
    Today I tested the goodness of dcm, automatic compass calibration and auto declination, putting a strain on the stability of my little "kamikaze quad".
    I apologize for "out of focus" and shaky, a friend lent me a little performance cam... :-)
    Special thanks to Antonio Mattioli (the duty filmer).

Bests, Marco

• Hi Guys can someone tell me if the latest code fits on the 1258 ?

Or do I finally have to upgrade to the 2560.

Regards Pete

•  re a post a few days ago if someone could please help me on: 

http://www.diydrones.com/forum/topics/how-to-reset-xtreambee?xg_sou...

"I had a crash  and the xbee came off the board and then I mistakenly pluged it back into the board in revers so the power pins were feeding the two signal wires. Now it wont communicate with the the gcs xbee. I swapped over the Xbee 900 to another xtreambee adapter and its working fine. So its now obvious there is a problem with the xtreambee. I'm still getting leds lighting up( the red the blue and the far left orange are solid) so it cant be totally destroyed. How can I try to reset this . I used the FTDI cable and X-CTU to try rest it,and although the FTDI comes up with a port number , the X-CTU wont detect the board and comes up with error, cant open com port. How can i try to rest the Xtreambee board and load firmware to the adapter board and see if this will fix it?

• This was my crash. i think the wobbling go-pro on the top of the quad made for a wobbly video and flight.. and crash .. apart from a few broken props nothing else got damaged. https://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edit?ns=1&video_id=mLwNCKKjcMs

Nice view of Kuala Lumpur. The twin towers are way off in the back ground, but hard to see. The apartment next to this site is where I live.   On this clip of the hex it landed on a ditch at the end which I didn't see and why it flipped. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xm5DmQHk4Y

• Hi folks,

Just 2 small vids on test I've conduct on april 17th.

All params are standards exept for the first quad where stab_xxx_P is reduced to 4.2.

Second quad with gopro inside.

Good flight all.

Olivier

• Hello... my hexa flat (3kg,910Kv motors,props 13/6,APM2) fly very well but when i do roll,pitch or yaw it adds throttle and hexa is rising,can somebody tell me what PIDs i need to tune so throttle wont add itself so much,thanks.

• Help!, My setup is stable and flys well in stabilize mode and Alt hold mode,  I dont have any other flying issues except when I switch to loiter, my Hexa yaws to the right, I switch out of loiter to gain control, but Im sure something is wrong?, My mag declination etc is all tuned in

Any suggestions as to yawing while switching to loiter?

• Hi Folks.

At last, a day off! Spent a good few hours and many milliamps getting to know 2.6b (same flight control as 2.5.4)

The following vid is done on a 3dr frame, standard 850 ardu kit, APM 1.  Sonar enabled. 

I did a lot of tuning today, I'm getting great results, next day off work I have I'll have cracked it I think. But for the video I stuck to stock params, (actually i had set stab_D and stab_I to zero. and was using rate_D of 0.08 and rate_i 0.8. Similar effects, i just prefer using the rates for my flying style/objectives) But the main difference is reducing loiter_P to 1.2.

This reply was deleted.

Activity