Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• FYI.  I put in a request last week and the latest MP now displays the MP and Aircraft software versions in the header of the MP when connected.

• Developer

MP is compatible with every MAVlink enabled system and can detect which version of code is running in a vehicle if the vehicle sends it to the planner.  MP does track some features on a vehicle by vehicle and version by version basis.  That is why it asks what version you are running prior to a compass cal or accel calibration but in general it is very difficult to track what features are enabled in various versions of the code and it is not really a very good investment of Michael's time to write that kind of code.

MP pulls features from automatically generated XML files with either stable or Beta tags associated with them.  Currently Copter 3.2 still has the Beta tag on it and so you need the beta version of MP to access the beta parameters descriptions but if you are a sophisticated enough user to be loading and testing beta firmware then should be a sophisticated enough user to go to the parameter description

http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/arducopter-parameters/#Flight_Mode...

look up the parameter number for Pos hold and enter it into the field.  If you are not sophisticated enough to do that then you are best off spending enough time to become that sophisticated before operating beta code.  

By the end of the week 3.2 will be a full release and the beta tag will be removed and the Stable release of MP will display all the modes automatically.

• Developer

Although I'd say that AC3.2 is no longer beta code..

I'll be promoting AC3.2 to replace AC3.1.5 by the end of this weekend in any case.

• Great news, then I'll go for 3.2 on my Tarot T180 build :)

• Admin

@Julien,

If the CLI still functions in your version of ArduCopter, then you can use the CLI to see what version is loaded on your flight controller. Otherwise you can down load a data flash log and you can see the version by viewing the log.

Regards,

TCIII AVD

• Thanks Thomas but my question was more to automate the detection in MP that would automatically update if required. That would avoid people missing to update MP and wonder why some features have disapeared.

That kind of issue is quite common on this thread, that's why I think is would be worth to include that auto-detect in MP

• Developer

We've got a plan to add a parameter to AC that holds the version number so hopefully we will get to that for AC3.3 and that'll certainly make life easier for the ground station developers.

• Has anyone tried the DJI E300 propulsion system in pixhawk (esc & motor)? How was it?

• Yes I use E300 on a quad.  Perfect for a beginner like me because the components are all matched, good quality and very reliable.  The ESCs are custom made for the motors so they never desync and the props are self-tightening so never fall off.  I've not had a single failure of any component in 200+ flights.  Very efficient system with long flight times.  They've lowered the price recently so it's dirt cheap now.  Downsides are it doesn't lift much (300g/axis, so 1.2kg all up) so you'll struggle to lift a gimbal+gopro and the props are very soft and break easily and are quite expensive to replace, although they recently released a bitier prop with more lift.  You can't update or reflash the ESCs which make a loud annoying beep beep beep until you hit the safety switch.

This reply was deleted.

Activity