Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• T3

Hi Paomaroli,

since the vibrations of your copter are low in loiter I would hesitate to further soften the damping. 

Another explanation for the high vibrations under full pitch might be the props. Some props start to flutter with higher loads.

Can you explain what kind of problem occur with autotune? The only situation where autotune did not work on any of my copter setups was when I experimented with wrong motor-prop-voltage setups.

• Hi Thorsten,

the motors and props are tuned together, don't think this should be an issue.

i also don't have much payload on it because it is completely optimized for acro flight. the takeoff weight including battery is 1,4kg / 4-5kg of thrust. Maybe it is the opposite way being to light weight for this frame.

My problem with autotune is that starting with AC 3.2. the values which are resulting after a good Autotune process are not applicable. PID's are way to high and they vary a lot being not reproducible. Overtuned PID's will cause the copter oscillate, this is noticable on fast climbing or fast forward flying.

• Developer

Pomaroli,

Yes, I agree that the vibrations aren't too bad (just some intermittent spikes) in the early part of the logs when it's doing a stable loiter.  If you look at the very next section though where the vehicle is flying forward (mostly) in AltHold it's very bad.  So I don't think it's related to RTL so much as lean angle or more likely throttle.  It's a bit of chicken-and-egg where it's difficult to tell if the vibration is affecting the throttle or throttle is affecting the vibration (or both).

• Randy,

yes it's difficult to say, below on the graph in yellow we see that ThrottleOut is also infected by the vibrations or turning all around the ThrottleOut is causing the vibrations. Since i'm actually don't see any pattern i would go for some slightly softer foam.

Otherwise could you give any setup advice i could test ?

3702901908?profile=original

• Pomaroli, your vibrations are caused by Disymmetry of Lift on your propellers in forward flight.  This is an aerodynamic effect that all multirotors suffer from.  Plot Z-axis vibes vs. GPS speed, and you'll see.

There's not much that you can practically do to solve it.  You'd need rotors that can teeter, but nobody makes those.

The only thing you can do is make the frame stiffer, or dampen the Pixhawk more.  I find the problem shows up when people don't dampen the Pixhawk well, but spend an enormous amount of time balancing propellers and motors instead.  So they reduce the imbalance vibrations to nothing, so it looks great in hover.  Then soon as they start flying forward at speed, the vibes start.

And large slow propellers would make this much worse as well.

• i'm just finished updating the copter, the foam thikness is increased from 2mm to 4mm. Same Graupner 2904 Foam as used before.

Just done a quick test but seems to be much better.

3702938846?profile=original

• Does anyone know where to get the Kyosho zeal in Europe?   It doesn't seem to be available, and costs a ludicrous amount shipped from the US.

• Thank you Raph. If it works that way, then it is a perfect solution comparing to Moon Gel. With Zeal's self-adhesive, I don't have to worry about how to secure the entire unit to the frame.

• 1 small square on each corner is plenty - the adhesive is strong and definitely isn't going to let go. I've had a few crashes and never has the flight controller detached, so with normal flying I just don't see it happening.

• I remember using Zeal tape many years ago for gyro sensors. It was working great. But I forgot how strong the sticky property was. Is it strong enough so you can just stick it to the bottom of APM on the 4 corner?

Or need to be secured additionally?

I tried moon gel and it is a great stuff; the only thing is that nothing sticks to it even the strongest double sided tape. 

I don't want to spoil the installation by adding a ziptie or a velcro. I want the material to stick to the body of APM securely and there would be nothing else between the frame and APM.

Is this an option with the Kyosho Zeal?

This reply was deleted.

Activity