Hi. My EAST program is working on building an ArduCopter as our big project this year. We have the frame up, but now are starting to run into issues. I have all the battery connections hooked up well, the ESCs all connected properly, and the Futaba receiver wired up. Now, we come to the big problem. When we take it out to test fly, just trying to get a couple inches off the ground, the Arducopter flips. It did this on a table, in the hallway, and the grass. 

My teacher and I did ESC calibration several times, and I've have attempted to level out the frame. I'm fairly certain that it is leveled out well, so I don't feel like this is a problem.

This brings up the big issue though, which is why the thing keeps flipping. Can anyone provide any help on this. Some detailed instructions maybe?

Also, we are using a 6 cell Venom battery (http://www.amazon.com/Venom-5000mAh-22-2-LiPO-Battery/dp/B0027GEYSE) and a Venom OPR2 Charger. Now, the battery is only showing 5 cells when hooked to the charger. I read that if you set it to 6 cells and start the charge it'll eventually bring the charge up enough for the charger to learn that this is the problem with the battery. Then stop the charge and restart it. When I monitor the charge of each cell, I see the charge of the cell reading 0.00 go up to 1.13 then 1.58, and then the charger errors out. Does anybody know of anything we can do for this? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This late in the year our funds are a little low, so we'd like to get it in the air with the parts we have.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Do you have a sketch of your electrical wiring or schematic?

If so, post it here.

-=Doug

• I do not have one right now. I can see what I can do about drawing one up.
    • The Attopilot 180A does not have the same function as a 3DR PM.

The 3DR PM combines voltage and current monitoring of the battery (that is what the AttoPilot does) AND 5 VDC supply regulation to the APM.

Are you using the 3DR PM? If so, it may be either loaded down or shot.

The 3DR PM can only handle 4S.

-=Doug

• The ESCs, props, and motors are all the exact same. I have no pictures of props, but they are 12 inch carbon fiber, the ESCs are Hobbywing Platinum Pro 40A, and the motors are Navigator Series T-Motors. I dont know anything more about the motors than that. Ardupilot 2.6 with 3DR external compass, Futaba Tx, T8J (2.4 GHz S-FHSS, 8 channel), Mission Planner 1.2.92. 

Let me know if yall need anything else. Thanks!!

Chris.

Are all the motors wired so they turn correctly? You should have two pairs of two wired the same ie one set straight left centre right connected direct. Thats for the normal direction props. Two motors where the centres are common and the outers cross. For the CCW turning motors.  I don't think I made that very clear!

That is a very big first project, carbon fibre props are very dangerous please be careful.

• We do have all of the motors turning correctly. First thing we did when we started. Only one was wrong, so switched the wires.

Thanks, 

Chris

• Yes it does do it. I went ahead and started calibrating things after I read some other information on the Wiki. When I put the throttle on and tilt the copter, you can actually hear the motors on the side going down reving up. Id say thats a good thing, right?

Chris.

Also Ive uploaded a few pictures to my account page and Ill put them here too, but they wont be high quality, cuz I had to use my laptop webcam.

3702748111?profile=original

• Wow, a large first project indeed -- custom H frame, tube and plate build. Now I understand what you were discussing regarding leveling...see graphic below for suggestion. There are special instructions concerning H-frames HERE. I have also embedded the instructions in the graphic below. Also make sure that the APM is pointed to the front of the frame. This also applies to the GPS/Mag module. The H frame instructions are all relative to Front and Rear.

3702816857?profile=original

Yes, the side that tilts down should have both motors increase rpm. This is the stabilized mode of operation taking over. You should be trying to fly in Stabilized mode...for a very long time.

Your power distribution is still not clear to me yet.

Your CF props are fine. You have not confirmed that you are using CW, and CCW props.

Looking at the ends of the props will tell you type they are.

-=Doug

• Also, why do I have to run the initial setup wizard every time I charge up the Arducopter? Its like it doesnt recognize my radio and I have to rerun the wizard. 

• Two of the props are CW two are CCW. They are mounted diagonal, i.e. one CW is back-left, the other is front-right. 

We have no power distribution board. Just the 3DR power module, and the battery that is running 5 cells. 

What is it that yall were talking about about the 3dr PM not running more than 4 cells.

Thanks for the additional info on the frame. Ill run through it and check that I have everything configured correctly.

Also Ill take some better pictures and post them up.

And whats the best way to level all the motors?

Thanks!

Chris

This reply was deleted.

Activity