Arducopter just not reliable.

Hi all.

I could really use some help trying to figure out if Arducopter 2.6 is ever going to work for me.

I have had a total of 4 units 2x genuine 3DR APMs and 2 generic arducopter.

2 buddies also have 1 unit each.

We all have major issues with all units.

to cut a long story short. We can have 3x perfect return to launches, then the the 4th one will result in a toiletbowl effect. Just randomness like that.

I've given up on using ANY failsafe as APM is just too unreliable.

That was a week ago, now things have gotten much worse.

Even stabalize mode does not work. If the quad makes it off the ground it will sometimes dart off in one direction, other times it just falls out of the sky The quad also "pulses"

Some times the quad will just stop responding to the controls and has to be knocked out of the sky to stop it from flying.

Othertimes the unit will just disarm on takeoff.

Have tried multiple recievers, boards etc, NOTHING fixes these issues. Both my buddies have given up on their board and now fly perfectly with another (closed source) autopilot. I would like to get this going correctly but the APM just seems so unstable.

I have attached some logs in case that helps.

Please help!

2014-08-20 16-58-55 9.log

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Same problems here, but I fight with Pixhawk.

Pixhawk is not beginner friendly.

• Please submit a log which actually has data in it and we can look.  It would be very helpful to have IMU logging turned on.

Many of your problems could be explained by excessive vibrations.  And I have had one of those HK F450 frames, it was completely garbage.  Vibrates like crazy.  Especially if the motors are dodgy.  Same with the props, which brand of prop are you using?

I could only get it to fly right with extreme vibration damping measures.

• Hi.

Ive attached a log from when my hex flipped upside down and crashed. It was flying fine until then.

I notice that most of the time I have issues, the log does not seem to record the GPS. Since I was only using stabalize mode, I didn't see this is a major issue.

I will have to figure out how to tunr on IMU logging and do some more test flights over the weekend.

2014-08-06 21-07-49 60.log

• If the GPS stops logging, I would have to imagine the GPS system has failed in some way.

In this log, it looks like the problem started because you cut the throttle to zero in Stabilize.  This causes Arducopter to shut off the motors, and stop stabilizing.  So it rolled upside down. This is normal.

However, you then raise the throttle, and it should restart, and flip back over, but it doesn't It just stays upside down and falls.  That's odd.  I wonder if the motors started windmilling, and the ESC's couldn't re-sync with them.  Hard to say.

• I have some more log files.

The first log shows a good flight, however loiter seemed to circle, but held the position.

The next 2 logs files right after the first show the problems, just using stabalize mode.

Are you able to see anything in these?

Thanks heaps.

2014-08-20 13-43-38.log

2014-08-22 07-07-05 51.log

2014-08-20 13-52-38.log

• Hi Rob.

Thank you for the reply. I didn't think I lowered the throttle that much, but cannot say that with 100% confidence.

Since the quad was quite heavy, it may have not had enough time to right itself.

Is there any documentation or guide so I could understand the logs better? I could then start to diagnose myself rather than bother people.

• 3702663888?profile=original

• Thank You! Done and Done

• T3

Hey you stand like at least 10 ft away when you bind, right?  Spektrum needs you to stand far away when you bind.  May be a dumb suggestion but I know when I started out I had that problem.  Also please do a range check, a lot of this sounds like spotty radio to me.

• Naw, surely not...I've got 3 DSMX units, and I bind about 30cm away. Works every time.

This reply was deleted.

Activity