Arducopter versus Mikrokopter

After 3 years of using 4 x Mikrokopter Hexa's for aerial photography, I purchased 3 APM 2.5 boards and attempted to use Ardupilot instead just because the english was so much easier to understand and the telemetry system seems to be much better and they use the full receiver and satellite not just the satellite receiver like MK.

All the new Hexa's fly well but just dont seem to be as steady in the air as Mikrokopter, all my MK Hexa's had IS2c to PWM converters which allowed normal ESC's, some had MK motors, others hobbyking motors and all were extremely steady in the air which is important for AP. But after spending weeks adjusting all the different PID settings and tuning the Dave C way on the new Ardupilot Hexa's they just seem to wobble or twitch more in wind than MK, there has got to be something I am doing wrong,  Anyone experienced this before ?

Paul Cremin

aerialshots.com.au

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Your $0.02 is equivalent to R0.20 in South Africa.  Not sure you are being fair here :D  Apologies... couldn't help myself.

• Any further updates on this?
    • Wow thanks everyone for posts below. This has been a massive help in assisting my decision to move away from DJI. Thanks again
    • by now, ArduCopter is far superior to MK, in both software quality, and versatility. That's be fore I mention the old-fashion compass calibration of MK and the drawbacks in that regard.

• @Andre K., what is the "old-fashion compass calibration of MK"?

• a very special dance, you need to perform.  Where you need to detect correct magnetic north to begin with, (use a compass) gives 60-40 chance of actually working calibration and toilet-bowl.

Finally - no compass-auto-learn - which in correct setup, is nothing short of fantastic.

• for me arducopter is very stable

you can see it on my old videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbgit_eY164

with pixhawk it will be better in few release!

pixhawk hardware is far superior than mikrokopter board and less expansive...mk only support multirotor so it s normal if the code for multirotor is  little better...but the communauty is not so big like we can have on diydrone

• Not sure why the code would be described as "better"  you load only arducopter code, the other are not in at the same time.

Besides - anywan that needs to improve on MK discovers that navigation code is closed (because it's soooo secret)  - and the rest have German variables and comments, and is less structured and hard to understand.

you need MikroKopter help ?  - Then you will discover than German wiki is always more updated, forums are primarily in German, and translate services does not work well with technical language.

• Thank you both for your responses

• Developer

From a AP point of view (phun intended..), APM has not been all there yet, compared to some of the commercial competitors. But the new inertia based controller is showing great promise and are currently in beta testing. Official firmware release should be just a matter of weeks.

This reply was deleted.

Activity

Neville Rodrigues liked Neville Rodrigues's profile
Jun 30
Santiago Perez liked Santiago Perez's profile
Jun 21
More…