automatic landing a quad

Dear all,

first let me say a big thank you to the community, specially to the developers of this great copter. I spent a lot of time with it and believe me, i had a lot of fun.

In the weekend, the weather/wind was fine and i was in the nature to fly my quad (standard kit from buildyourowndrone.co.uk with firmware v2.046, GPS, compass, baro, sonar ordered, but not installed, default settings).

Since my flight skills are poor, i had configured in mission planer the modes STABILIZE+SIMPLE and

ALT_HOLD+SIMPLE. Everything works like described in wiki. After arming the engines, i could liftoff and it was a pleasure to listen the engines and watching the copter while cruising a little bit to the left, to the right, forward, backward....

Because its difficult for me to control throttle stick, i engaged ALT_Hold mode. The quad was going a little bit up and down, but in general it could manage its altitude. Sometimes the quad was touching the groung, but seems that adjusting the altitude was possible by changing the throttle on my transmitter.

To prevent, that the copter runs out of lipo power, i wanted to exit ALT_HOLD landing the quad.

I guess you know what happened: Since i couldn't remember the throttle position before engaging ALT_HOLD, the quad felt from the sky...Fortunately nothing is broken and the quad is still alive.

It would be nice to have an automatic landing feature, where the quad starts a smooth descend to the ground from its actual position.

I've seen in mission planner a command for landing. However it seems that the command for landing needs the GPS position where to land.

Recommendations for a "LAND_HERE_AND_NOW" script within mission planner are welcome.

Regards

Volker

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Now a sonar is installed. I've tried ALT_HOLD and LOITER and in my opinion it was working well.

Next will be trying my first mission (NUE airport predicts a calm wind in afternoon).

Wiki is saying about the LAND command: "If you have Sonar, the craft will stop holding position at 3 meters and drop straight down."

Does that mean, that that quad will falling free from 3 meters to the ground?

• 100KM

Next time, set throttle high enough to be sure that the quad goes up.  Then you can lower throttle and bring it down.  

The baro alone is not really accurate enough for automatic landings.

This reply was deleted.

Activity