Bad compass health error

Hi,

Recently I obtained an apm 2.5 and I have an error on my mission planner that I can't figured out yet.  The error is Bad compass health and the error won't let me arm. I did all the procedures for the compass and it didn't work out.  Can someone help me?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• For apm 2.6 with external compass
  • Hello is there any one who genuinely solved the problem of compass
  • Cant believe I fell for this old trick, after 3 years on a old copter and pulling it out of retirement,  I still forgot to cut the trace for the on board compass and so pulling my hair out for ages trying to figure out why my old APM 2.5 is playing up with my compas/ gps M8N unit. 

This thread reminded me to open it up and check. Well, this one must have missed my routine procedure to cut the track but was a quick remedy....now for some flying:)

• I think I solved my compass health issue.
    This is my first quadcopter build and I started the project by ordering the APM 2.8 flight controller. This would allow me to play with mission planner while I wait for remaining parts to show up.

So I borrowed my wife's USB cable and started with the initial setup of the APM. Everything was going fine until we were came to the compass calibration screen.
    After watching examples on YouTube I was confident I was going about it correctly. After multiple try's I was consistantly getting the bad compass health errors.

So here is where I found the biggest problem.
    My wife stole her usb cable back so I started hunting around the house for another one. I did find another cable but it was obviously of Beter quality than my wife's. It was thicker and had a robust feel to it. I'm sure it was a shielded cable meaning it's com wires inside the cable were properly insulated from the power wires of the usb cable. Also shielded cables are made with a metal braided wrap that prevents noise or interfering signals from infecting the data traveling from one of the cable to the other.
    After plugging this cable in and re calibrating the compass, I knowticed a gigantic difference in how the compass data was being recorded as I was going through the motions. After the calibration when I pointed the APM north, I finally was getting the correct north reading from mission planner.

Also something I missed while watching the utube how to's, is you need to always point each side of the APM north while making small rotations. I used my cell phones compass app to give me an exact reading of north inside my home.

Right Wrong or Indiferent, that's how I fixed my bad compas health issue.

Hope this helps anyone.
  • may i know, what did u do to solve the issues?

william santos said:

thank to all I all ready solve this issue.

• I did the calibration outdoors many times, away from any interference, to no resolve, no cell phone in my pocket, nothing to interfere. I checked and rechecked my wires, mounted on a mast, twisted the power wires, everything. I am using an APM 2.6 on a DJI F550 with Spektrum AR8000/DX8 setup.

Here is the fix I used, FINALLY after hours of fighting this frustrating problem.
    I redid the entire Mission Planner wizard, but the difference this time that seemed to work was, 
    first, I uploaded the firmware to the APM 2.6 for the ArduRover, and then back to the ArduCopter. This was after
    trying to hard reset the APM 2.6 through the CLI, which did not work, as all  I ever saw in the Terminal
    window was gibberish. 
    Maybe there was some setting in the Mission Planner that was inconsistent with what the compass was telling it?
    I don't know for sure, but it worked.
    Good luck to anyone that encounters this issue, I hope this fix helps a few guys out there.
    • i will try your method ^_^ thanks for the help, happy flying

• thank to all I all ready solve this issue.

• ...and the problem was?????

• they forget solder the trace for the compass so I order a combo from 3DR.

This reply was deleted.

Activity