Bench Testing Fail Safe

I am having trouble getting some questions answered wrt RTL Fail Safe and need some help.

1. What is an effective way to test the Fail Safe on the ground?

a. How to be sure the motor will engage at the proper RPM to keep the plane airborne during RTL?

b. What setting(s) govern the motor RPM?

c. What is the dominate feedback loop for motor RPM? With and without Airspeed sensor

If I missed it in the Wiki, I apologize but I think I scoured it pretty good. The Fail Self set up and testing, IMHO, deserves to be addressed in more detail.

BR,

Steven

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'm sure the Dev Team can give you a better answer, but basically you can't test the motor speed on the ground.

As long as you have a GPS lock you should be able to see the APM switch to RTL mode on the ground (I think), but to "test" the motor you're going to need to be in the air. The motor speed will depend on things like if you're above or below your set RTL altitude. Trust the APM, it really does work well. The best way to test it is to engage RTL when the plane is only a short distance away, and be ready to switch back to manual if something goes wrong. If you have tested Stab and FBW modes beforehand then you shouldn't have any trouble with RTL.

This reply was deleted.

Activity