Hey gang, thought I would just start a thread on a retrofit I'm doing on a Fury Ion camera ship that I'm going to take into the Arducopter realm. I've got my 3DR hexa running pretty well but need to use the Ion for much larger camera work so it's time to rebuild. Just as a bit of background I've been flying traditional helis for just over a decade 6 years of which I've been a team Hirobo pilot.
Currently I've got an APM 2.5 with a ublox GPS integrated along with a 3DR radio. The Ion is running 700 Radix FAI blades and the stock flybar and paddles setup. I removed the paddle weights I was using for manual AP work. I'm using the stock Ion motor (Hacker C50-15XL) on ~20/1 ratio at ~ 1700 rpm.
I've currently got stabilize mode working fairly well. One point of note, when doing the mechanical setup I noticed that there's not a whole lot of rudder throw once the servo is setup with the stock PIDs. I changed the Rate PID to 1.25 to get the throw I thought was correct but that was NOT a good idea, had serious tail wag issues. For the experienced heli pilots, trust that the throw in flight will be close to right with the stock PIDs! I'm currently set at .350 P for yaw rate and dropped the roll/pitch stabilize values from .700 to .550 to get the airframe to settle into a reasonable hover.
More to come as I get a chance to test GPS hold.