Copter Suddenly Yaws to the Right

Hi droners.  I've been looking into a strange flight defect lately and have some evidence to report.  I'm hoping others can weigh in on this issue to help tracking it down. 

When hovering, my copter will, at seemingly random times, yaw about 30-60 degrees to the right, suddenly.  If I don't correct it will more slowly yaw back to where it was before.  It's very unnerving, especially with flying FPV and/or close to the ground/obstacles.  Looking at the log from a short (~10s) test flight (attached), I can't see anything unusual.  The rapid yaw is visible in the ATT lines and the motor throttles are not prefectly balanced, but really that's nothing too strange.   The log was captured with the CLI in Arduino.  I also tried capturing it and viewing it in MissionPlanner, which resulted in lots of strange data.  It seems like the CLI, when used with MissionPlanner, misses some newlines. 

I've tried swapping APM2 modules with the same result.  I've also tried re-flashing the firmware and re-setting-up the APM2.  I've been getting it with two different airframes, but it's quite bad recently.  Perhaps a coincidence, it's been worse since I had a minor crash (no airframe damage) and I decided to change the RCRx. 

Any suggestions?  Anyone see anything odd in the log file? 

AC2YawTesting01.log.zip

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi, I'm new to the world of drones and the other night I seemed to have a similar problem to the one that you describe, it did it twice. I'm using the 3DR Y6 using the defualt PIDs. It would also suddenly randomily yaw to the right. I am running the 3.0.1 release, so maybe my problem isn't related to yours. It was quite windy (12mph) so maybe that was a factor? What should I do...any help would be much appreciated. I've uploaded a screenshot of the YawIn and Yaw log showing the two spikes (the third is my disarm command).3692832983?profile=original

• Update: this defect still manifests in AC2.6

• Incidentally, I'm using AC2.5.5.  I'm going to test it with the new AC2.6.

This reply was deleted.

Activity