Creating an engine for a 60 lbs helo

As you can imagine I have alot of questions specifically on potential props so that i know what speeds to aim for, for the motor. I'm looking for potential carbon fiber blades that can cause enough lift for a 60 lbs helo I'm working on. I am also looking for the smallest possible blades for the craft and am wondering if perhaps having two props could reduce the length of blade required to lift such an object and if so what speed will I need to aim for? If you have any answers conserning the matter, could you give me a list of speeds along with your choices of props? Any information you could give me would be most helpful even if you were to give me the equations to find these problems out myself would be appreciated.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It Seems that i've gained enough information now; Ill have to conduct several experiments on my own to come up with my own calculations. I want to thank you for spending the time to gather this information for me, you have been a wealth of knowledge and the last question you dont have to bother with the answer for as far as I know no one has conducted experiments in this way. Again thanks.
  • Hi,

for some equations on power required, etc see the attached file.  Is it referenced for human-powered helicopters but has lots of good information and equations.

For small helicopter information, try scaling the Yamaha RMAX: it uses a liquid-cooled, two-stroke, 246cc engine rated at 21hp and has a blade radius of 3.4m (~12 feet):

Main rotor diameter:  

:

3,115 mm

Tail rotor diameter

:

545 mm

Overall length

:

3,630 mm (including rotor)

Overall width

:

2000 mm

Overall height

:

1,220 mm

Weight

:

approx. 93 kg

Two blades will be less efficient (smaller radius, turn faster) but might help you reduce your footprint.

Graves_-_Problems_of_man_powered_rotorcraft_1962.pdf

The RMAX Helicopter UAV.pdf

This reply was deleted.

Activity