DCM bad heading = almost lost my craft

Greetings!

I have about half a dozen short flights on a newly built Tarot 650 and this evening I almost lost it due to a "DCM bad heading" issue.  

The flight was going fine and I made the mistake of getting too much altitude and letting the craft get too far away so when the issue happened I struggled to regain orientation in stab mode.  Fortunately I had enough battery left to figure things out and get it back...was very scary.

The ESCs are in the center section of the frame and I actually added an additional plate/level to add more space between the ESCs and the GPS/compass (which is on top on a short stalk). (see pic)

Any insight on what might have happened (telem log attached) would be greatly appreciated!

Also if someone could let me know what to look at in the log graphs to see this I would appreciate it.

Thanks!3691191104?profile=original

tarot2015-03-11 16.14.03.jpg

2015-03-24 17-15-20.tlog

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Just did my compassmot....If I read this correctly it is excellent! 3701973292?profile=original

• Hello Coty, I have a Tarot 650 too and other cuad, I had problems with the other one, looks here you can find information http://diydrones.com/group/arducopterusergroup/forum/topics/compass...

And here my Tarot setup but with APM, notice that I have the Esc under the arms  http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/my-second-cuad-a-tarot-650 , many fligths and no compass issue with this one.

• Nice looking Tarot!  I do have the external compass (Pixhawk), it is on a stalk and I have an extra deck/layer added to add separation between the ESCs and compass.

• Thank's Coty, a great frame, I don't have Pixhawk but I understand that it has an internal compass too, I'm not shure how it's works when you have a compass issue but something not solved yet because I read many Pixhawk compass problems too; it's suppose that you don't have to have problems where you put your pixhawk, try to move things to discover what is interfering (antenna?, any magnetized bolt?); try to post your .log from the internal sd, developers always ask for it to help and be attention for the next release if something solve the problem.

• In case it is relevant:

Tarot 650 frame with 680 pro motor mounts

Additional frame level/plate

Tiger Motor MN4010-11 475kv

Tiger S45A ESC

Tiger 16x5.4 props

Pixhawk (latest version of firmware as of March 2015)

5100 4S

• I do not have a pixhawk but I think it may be using both onboard and mast compass. But it may be just that your compass is not calibrated well enough. You could switch to EKF also which seems to be pretty stable for flight now.

• Anyone?

This reply was deleted.

Activity