Ditch the GoPro, it's the Canon SD1400is !

Check it out

opplanet-canon-powershot-sd1400is-black-4181b001-01.jpg

http://reviews.bestbuy.com/3545/9766919/canon-powershot-sd1400is-elph-14-1-megapixel-digital-camera-black-reviews/reviews.htm

What we get :

14.1-megapixel resolution; 2.7-inch PureColor System LCD
28mm wide-angle lens; 4x optical zoom and Optical Image Stabilizer
720p HD movie shooting capability plus HDMI output
Smart AUTO intelligently selects from 22 predefined settings
New scene modes such as Miniature Effect and Fisheye Effect; Low Light mode for dimly-lit situations.

Not to mention its a super slim super lightwieght camera I will upload test videos of it soon.

It's a super crisp camera with HD video recording at a very reasonable price for what it does. How would this come up on a tri/quad copter to any copterplane for this matter ? Compared to what I feel like most of the guys in this forum are using the GoPro. I'm asking for your opinion and thoughts. As I have a tri&quad copter build project this coming summer ( which I'm planning to record the whole thing. More on that later ) and currently modding up a bixler 2. And last but definitely not least ,, how will I have access to the camera from ground station? Whats the process of hooking the camera to the board of the plane ( wiring and what not) that will give me control of it from ground station.
My best regards amigoooooos,,
Cheers

image.jpg

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Ali, as Others have pointed out, the WiFi video connection on the GoPro is not ideal, but also as they have said it does allow a continuous Standard definition video output which you can send to a completely different frequency FPV transmitter.

And that will work pretty well.

One more thought, on the GoPro Black at least you can select three different (zoom) levels each of which will work to a full 1080P for video because of the 14 megapixel CCD. This completely gets around the standard ultra wide angle problem and the zoom levels can be selected by WiFi. this is actually better than a continuous zoom for a lot of things because it is a known quantity.

And of course you can shoot at even higher resolution and then zoom to where you want using post processing.

To actually try to do significantly better requires an outlay of a lot more dollars for pro video or at least SLR type cameras or RED or BlackMagic and the fragile and heavy and expensive multicopters required to carry them.

Basically a GoPro is actually a really good deal for the niche it fills and it is very compatible with multicopters.

• Canon cameras with image stabilization are a poor choice for rc because they dont handle even the slightest vibrations well. Im not talking about jello or the wavy lines you get with cmos because this is a ccd. Im talking about lens shake. IS lenses are floating and will vibrate along with the props. Ive experimented with two IS canon cameras and they dont do well unless you can really isolate them from the frame. The results, even with a very high shutter speed, are often blurred.
  • I personally find the Gopro too 'wide angle' for the types of images I'd like to obtain.  I'm also looking for a high megapixel resolution so I can "Zoom" in on a photo's area of particular interest to me. 

I'm also more focused on images then video (although I realize one can play video and then obtain images from it)

Can you provide some sample images from this camera? 

Anyone else use a camera trigger similar to what is available for Pentax cameras to essentially send a command to the camera "take that shot" in live time?

http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-1366/PRISM-IR-Camera-Control/Detail

It's been a while, but calls I made to Pentax as well as some experimentation with my Pentax Optio showed that the camera can essentially xmit video from it's "standby mode."  Then as my plane or rotocopter flew around I could , by watching a live feed, determine whether or not I have a 'say cheese' situation and photograph the image. 

I know there are many people on here which view the gopro as the cat's meow, and they're great for wide angle scenery situations, but from I've experienced they don't have the resolution to really 'zoom in' on an object or situation of interest in a picture unless your drone is close (and I mean CLOSE) to the object you're trying to photograph. 

For lack of a more technical way of wording it, the Gopro seems to operate with an almost reverse zoom.  What you get in your video or photograph is actually closer then the end result imagery.  Sort of like rear view mirrors with the warning sticker "Caution, objects seen in this mirror are closer then they appear."

• Looks like a nice camera, optical stabilization, 4x zoom, my wife and I have a bunch of Canons including the ELPH and the Rebel.

But, no easy way to interface.

GoPro, JVC and Sony all make Sport Cams that are smaller and more rugged with built in WiFi real time connectability that makes them at least theoretically controllable from a tablet.

I say theoretically because they also communicate at 2.4ghz the same frequencies as our RC radio systems.

Sometimes there is a conflict, although they are supposed to be able to work OK together.

In fact, you would probably need to use a servo to power a shutter release on this and there is no realistic way to control the Zoom while you are flying.

On the GoPro Black you can select 3 different effective (no loss) zoom levels by WiFi and preview the picture (sort of) while you are flying in addition to turning video on and off as desired. Or you can preset the camera to take continuous video or snap photos on a timed basis.

That is why GoPro's are popular and they are really tiny and really rugged and they can do continuous 1080P video and higher.

And I hate GoPro, because the company is very difficult to work with if there is anything wrong with the camera.

Also, unfortunately although an Optical image stabilizer is a good thing, they can be problematic under various flying conditions and actually make pictures and videos less stable than without them.

I think there are some very high end Prosumer video cameras with really fancy optical stabilization that would work well, but they aren't these.

There are a few well liked non SportCam camera users in this group, but you should look around for some of their BLOGS,

Basically GoPros by far the most common and are great to start with because they are small, light, rugged and really easy to use with a plane or copter and when you crash you won't have to go out and buy a new one.

You would probably be WAY better off getting one of the White GoPros for this than the Canon.

Drop that Canon in your QuadCopter from 20 feet and it will be toast.

And if you are just starting with a MultiCopter I heartily recommend one of the FlameWheel F330 or F450 ARF QuadCopter kits as a good place to start, cheap, extremely rugged and will withstand the inevitable learning curve with minimal impact on your funds.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but a lot of us if not most of us have been down this road before.

This reply was deleted.

Activity