Do you threadlock your prop nuts?

I'm new to the 3DR multirotors and their shaft setups, but I've already lost 2 props due to prop nuts becoming unfastened in flight.  Neither led to a crash (thanks to the Y6's redundancy), but after the last one I was unable to find the prop nut.  

I crank them down as much as possible using a small allen key for leverage, but can only get so tight because it's tough to get a grip on a round motor.  Do you guys use threadlock to keep your prop nuts on?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I love how the usefull information come months after it was needed

• I find old threads VERY useful. It is called "Search"  When one knows how to do searches with well chosen key words answers are found in mere seconds. 

• I use "nyloc" nuts and without threadlock of course. I'm also changing nuts to new after 4-5 times opening. This habit comes from working with fullsize airplanes and copters....

Regards

Jani

Another point to remember about thread-loc, is that its dangerous to use with glass filled nylon parts.

I learnt the hard way when I noticed dozens of spider cracks around every screw on my helicopter frame after using Loctite.

• You said..

I crank them down as much as possible using a small allen key for leverage, but can only get so tight because it's tough to get a grip on a round motor.

Are your prop nuts collet type or the newer later style that with the threaded stud above the prop hub like THIS ?

If collet type, there are some precautions to use. If the later style, try holding the prob hub while tightening rather than the motor housing...threadlocker won't hurt either.

-=Doug

• Yes. Learned the hard way. Sometimes you just forget to check them before launching.

• unlike andrew I do recommend theadlock, then again I have only flown fixed wing. I have also had no issue getting the nut off afterwards or if you still don't like the idea of  a CA a nylock nut will be the next best option

• No but I check them every couple of flights as part of my preflight. Use regular hex nuts instead of the pretty cone shaped nuts if your concerned. 

• I now thread lock using the Blue. With wood props I still have to double check in case they swell or shrink. Blue allows you to be able to remove later. 

This reply was deleted.

Activity