Does the PX4 Autopilot work?

I've been pulling my hair out for a week trying to get my PX4FMU based quacopter to do anything but manual mode.

Does this thing actually function or is everything i've read about it some sort of elaborate hoax?

Has anyone actually seen one work?????

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I've been using a px4 and found it to be very very difficult to get flying well. I've yet to achieve anywhere near the same level of stability that I had with the APM after many many times the amount of tuning time. I also agree with other's comments that qGroundControl has a large number of bugs and eccentricities that result in a lot of wasted time.

My quad is currently very wobbly and sluggish, but increasing any of the rate or attitude gains results in uncontrollable oscillations and flips mid-flight. The current values that I'm using on my custom micro setup are attached if anyone wants to check them out and share their thoughts.

The software I downloaded defaulted to RC_pitch and RC_roll set to 0.4, which was way to low to make the system controllable. I've found that 2.0 for both works much better, but still not terribly well. I remain perplexed at why the defaults seemed to be so far off from usable values.

I too still haven't been able to change modes using the mode switch on the transmitter or find the documentation for doing this (other than a mention that the approach varies for transmitter, so it won't be explained). The modes shown in qGroundControl do not match the modes shown in the documentation. Additionally, qGroundControl shows different mode names in the top bar than the "Control" widget, which further perplexes me. The top bar on qGC currently shows that it's in "A|STABILIZED". Anyone know what this means?

• Hi Mark, I have a DJI Flamewheel F450 (with an APM as well as my F330.

On both of them I am using -40 percent expo and the Rate P is set to .08 and the Rate I to .05.

You have to dial the rate PID way back from stock because the little FlameWheels are such hot rods.

At least the ones using the actual DJI motors.

Are you running FMU only without the PX4IO board.

I am running with the PX4IO, but I know at least a few other people are running PX4FMU only and are doing fine with it.

You didn't mention Mission Planner and I think that is what you should be running through, does it show satellite lock?

You mention only Auto mode, have you tried alt hold or Loiter.

If Loiter works, then your problem with auto is not the satellite.

The appropriate initial flight test - progression procedure is to get it to work well in stabilize, then altitude hold, then with Loiter after getting GPS lock.

Also, you can only start out and take off in Stabilized mode and then switch to another mode.

What modes are you using?

• I can't get mine to work. When I flick the switch to auto, it tells me NO POS LOCK, REJ AUTO MODE, even though I have 8 satellites locked according to the plot in qgroundcontrol.

When I move the switch to what should be assisted mode, nothing happens.

Also the quad is very very very sensitive to input, I had to add a lot of exponential to get it to be at all controllable. Not sure how to adjust that in the software.

I've tried both the firmware in qupload and the firmware built from trunk, with no difference.

My quad is a DJI F450, uBlox GPS, PX4FMU, D4R-II receiver, turnigy 9xr transmitter, Castle BEC, 3S 3300mah battery.

Also, I cannot arm with the sticks when I first power it on, I have to hit the reset button before I can arm for some reason.

• Yes, I have one, It works. FlameWheel F330 flys in stabilize, Altitude Hold and Loiter fine.

This reply was deleted.

Activity