Double 4 cell vs double 3 cell LiPo's

Good morning, all!

I have the good fortune to be the US importer of Fusion LiPo cells, primarily for my hobby of racing r/c cars.  I have several models to choose from, and am now building a LS-X4 800mm Alien with an iPeaka 30 amp 4-in-1 esc.

I have narrowed my Fusion battery choices to different setups:

1. Parallel wiring two 4 cell 6000mah 14.8v packs for a total of 12000mah capacity at 14.8 volts, or:
  2. Series wiring two 3 cell 6000mah 11.1 volt packs for a total of 12000mah capacity at 22.2 volts.

Considering that the iPeaka esc is rated for 2-6 cells, which combination would make a more efficient package?  I have dozens of each already in stock, so cost is of no consideration.  They both fit nicely right under the center of the LS X4 chassis.

Should I go for more 'horsepower' with the 6 cell setup or extended runtime with the 4 cells setup?3691131069?profile=original

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• when you wire in series the current doesnt add only voltage does. if you wire it in parallel you get what I previously said. If you still dont undestand I recommend you to read Voltage divisor and current divisor in basic electricity books.

• parallel wiring of option number 2 gives you double current and 11.1 volts which will give you more flight time 

David Rodriguez

owner of http://www.multirotorguides.com

Multirotor fanatic

Multirotorguides.com
  • Your option #2, for Series wiring two 3 cell 6000mah 11.1 volt packs, that gives you 22.2 volts, but only 6000mah total...

If you think about it, if you put 2 in parallel, you get double the amps, and voltage stays the same, if you put 2 in series, then you get double the voltage, and the amps stay the same...

The 4 cells, 2 batt in parallel will give you more power because 14.8 volts * 12 amps = 177.6 watts, but 22.6 volts * 6 amps = 133.2 watts

As for your final question.... the ESC may be able to take the voltage range, but you also need the motors to go up to 6 cells, and I don't think there are any motors that have such a high range. You probably have to purchase separate motors for 4 cells and 6 cells, if you want to test what is better.

This reply was deleted.

Activity