ESC cutoff voltage - that's STUPID

Hi,

I've seen the jDrones 20A ESC has low voltage cutoff.

when i think of that - this will cause instant motor stopping, and immediate drop of the arducopter,

no ?

Is there any way to cancel that feature ? so that i could land my arducopter safely even at 2.9v per cell ?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer
    Most ESC's does not allow you to disable voltage cutoff. But there is an easy trick. Just set them to Ni-xx battery mode and they will keep on running until your lipo battery is dead (literary). Still much cheaper to replace then a new DSLR.
  • Developer

It might be that your main flightelectronics will reboot before ESC's are hitting voltage cutoff. Besides you should never go below 3 volt/cell due this will murder your LiPo batteries. As ArduCopter and all this type VTOL machines are relying on steady input voltage, when closing cutoff areas power supplies tend to start fluxuating. This fluxuating will cause gyros/accelerometers etc to behave weird which usually means flip landing or similar... not so unwanted lading.

On airplanes you can push your batteries to their limits but it is not wise to do so with helicopters and especially not with multirotors.

• Developer
    ESC are programmable, there is 3 Low Voltage Threshold levels, Low = 2.6V per cell, medium = 2.85V, high = 3.1V .

Soft Cut-off / Medium are default.
  • According to the manual there are 2 cut-off settings, Cut-Off and Soft Cut-Off. Soft Cut-off is the default and this will "gradually reduce the output power". No further specifics are given, and i've never flown mine past the lipo alarm starting so cant comment if the gradual reduction is still sufficient to allow controlled landing.
This reply was deleted.

Activity