Failsafe - retrace

Hi Folks,

I was speaking to a friend about flying around a cliff and in gorges etc and was wondering what failsafe would do if it kicked in – I assume it would make a bee-line for home in RTL.

Would it be possible to retrace the route flown and then RTL. There are many issues with this such as, you could be only a few meters from home but to retrace your steps is much further, you could run out of battery because the route is 6 minutes into a 10 minute flight. I could go on shooting my own idea but… is there enough juice to plan a route home using as much of the previous flown routes as you can. i.e. a car satnav planning a route on given roads. This would allow less of a chance (still possible though…) to crash into something (that big tree you flew around) on the way home.

Not sure if there is a need for it or how you would do it. If I were a clever man, I would have a stab at it but alas… I can code but know zero on how where to start with this…

Maybe RTL + collision avoidance is a better option…

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I believe RTL just goes straight home at an altitude of home + 8 meteres. Not sure if it first ascends though and I doubt it, so it will likely kill it if behind something.

In this case I guess it's better for it to just hold position while you panic and try to fix your transmitter (or whatever caused the failsafe)

This reply was deleted.

Activity