First Time quadcopter build

Hey Guys, This is my first time on this forum.

I have spent the last week or two reading up on drones and how to build them. I have purchased a few cheaper drones and can confidently fly without crashing. I now want to get into DIY drone building. I have built many computers, and I am decent with soldering and tinkering.

So I know I want to build a drone that can take photos with a Go-Pro or very small mirrorless camera under it.

I am really leaning towards getting a DJI Flamewheel F450 ARF kit. My biggest question is which receiver do I use and what size battery is recommended? I though about getting the  DJI DT7 DR16 receiver, but I'm really not sure. 

If you guys don't recommend going that route, I am game for building one from scratch. 

I would love if someone could recommend a complete setup for me under $400. 

I know I want a 450 size frame, and I want motors that are stable. I do not care much about speed, as long as I can get the drone up in the air and move it at a decent speed. 

For a flight controller, I really want to use the Naza M Lite or V2 because it seems to be the easiest to set up. 

I really don't know on the motors, props, escs, or the receiver. 

I have looked around on various websites to see builds but nobody has a build (that I can find) that is close to mine.

If someone could recommend the rest of the parts, (especially the receiver) that would be great.

Thank you guys in advance.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yes, indeed, only hexa rotor in Y config, not tri.
  • NINE.jpgNaza M V2

• Unfortunately, I opted for a folding tricopter frame, and it turns out that the DJI controllers do not support tricopters. Too bad as indeed, it looked like a piece of cake to setup compared to the rest.

I went for a PX4-based controller plus GPS. Wish me good luck ;-)

• I have never used the Pixraces, but wifi communication is not reliable at all.

Naza + Datalink might be a relatively good solution, but the main problem I had recently is that the app condtatly crashed no matter if I use an android device or an iPhone. I have tried also two tables (Samsung and apple again).

Otherwise, the nasa is peace of cake to do setup and running.

• Hi,

I started ordering parts for my first DIY project, just not too sure yet what to choose as flight controller. I have identified the two following options:

A DJI Naza lite bundle with GPS, which I understand can be flashed to M V2 level and could get some basic autonomous flight capabilities with the DJI Datalink option (the latter can now be found for less than 100€, used or old stock).

A Pixracer with optional GPS and WiFi modules, which would mean less stuff to carry around to connect with an iPad running a ground station app.

The first option seems to be much easier to setup and has the potential of having much better remote telemetry range, but I'm not too sure it is that future proof (dji's ground station app has not been updated for a while).

The second option is clearly more modern and may get more autonomous flight modes as ardupilot & GCS develop, but it seems a much more adventurous option. In particular, I'm not too sure what the wifi range would be like and whether a wifi extender could be used (a solution I routinely use with my parrot bebop).
  • Hi Cj,

I'm new to the forum, but definitely not new to drones.

It basically depends on whether you would like to build the drone yourself  or you would like to skip this part and directly enjoy flying with ready to take-off copter. Different people enjoy different things so this one is only up to you.

Build your own copter

- I would also choose the DJI Naza M or V2. Extremely easy to setup and quite predictable. Unfortunately you won't receive anything more than robust but simple flight controller for manual steering.

- Frame - F450 is very nice, easy to assemble, affordable and good looking frames. Surprisingly so, having in mind when it was released.

- Motors - T-Motor for me are one of the best but a bit costly motors. Choose wisely as these are important for your overal performance

- Props - Don't waste your money on carbon fiber (they are simply overrated for this size of prop and usually brings lower performance). I would recommend Master Airscrew MR props in 10" for this frame.

- ESCs- not real difference, but I'm very happy with Hobbywing. Just make sure the amp readings match your motors. If you take the 10inch props, then I would recommend T-motor 2216 kv900 or kv1100 V2.

-Battery - again not real difference, but chose wisely. Cheap batteries would provide less power drain even if they are the same Amp rating and power. I would recommend 4S with this setup - will give a great agility.

- Remote control - Futaba is expensive, but all the rest are like Chinese low quality product. I would recommend the 10J.

The best setup for me would be the F450, Motors 2216 V2 kv 900, Master Airscrew MR 10x4.5 Props White of course :) , Hobbywings ESCs 30A, Battery 4S depending on if you prefer speed or long flight, Futaba Remote control J10

Out of the box solutions - here the best options around your budget would be 3DR Solo or DJI Phantom 2 or 3.

- 3DR Solo - they had some financial issues recently and needed to restructure their business. Now, as they say, it is not consumer drone company, but rather business oriented. Still it is the same drone and the same infrastructure. Anyway, the point is that the Solo is one very good products although it has some issues and malfunctions from time to time. As technology advancements I would say it is something in between DJI Phantom 3 and DJI Phantom 4. You can use it with Go Pro gimbal. The Solo have nice tablet app, life video feed, waypoint navigation and mean more.

- Phantom 2 - these are cheap but already hard to find. This is basically Naza controller in nice package with motors and smart battery. You get a decent remote control, but no app integration or live telemetry. The only feedback you will get is from the battery indicator and signal multicolor led light. Unless of course you buy also the optional "light bridge" which may add live camera feed, extended range and app (the app is not supported by DJI anymore so have some issues)------- Talking about the Phantom2, you can buy one and with some minor modifications you will be able to fit it on a F450 frame. The remote control receiver is located on a separate small PCB with cable antenna next to the Naza controller so you can easily use it. The Phantom 2 can run also with 4S battery (the stock is 3S).

- Phantom 3 - a bit more pricey, this one will give you features similar to the Solo. It is a bit more complicated, have build in camera and a nice app connection. Although it looks almost precisely as the previous Phantom 1 and Phantom2, this one is  much better peace technology.

If you choose to go with ready to fly drones, but still want to do upgrades and have fun tuning every bit of the hardware, then the Solo would be the logical option to go with. You can play with the software, upgrade motors (T-motors) and props (Master Airscrew have a beautiful set of low noise props - https://www.masterairscrew.com/products/3dr-solo-propellers-mr-sl-1...). 

You could also tweak the Phantom, however beside changing the props (again with Master Airscrew), all of the rest is a headache.

Hope the above helps a bit. 

3DR Solo Upgrade Propellers - MR-SL- 10x4.5 Prop Set x4 Black
    <meta charset="utf-8"> <h3 style="text-align: center;"><span style="color: #ff0000;"><strong>Second generation with Built-In Nut available <a href="h…
  • I meant XuGong 8
  • Hi, I guess that, purely for photography, you could do without a gimbal, especially if you have control on shutter speed to avoid blur. You will have to have a way to remotely trigger the camera or rely on timelapse.

I am actually interested in building a similar drone, but on a folding frame (I want to be able to bring it in a small backpack, otherwise I'd just use a phantom). There surprisingly few compact options.

Te best one seems to be the Trifecta but it is not clear whether it would fly ok with a GoPro (with or without gimbal). Another bigger option is the qingong 8 but it is not available from a lot of retailers (I live in Europe). Any suggestion?

• Absolutely - Yes!

Unless you can still find one of the $300.00 3DR Solo deals like this one at Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/3dr-solo-drone-with-controller-black/56...

The 3DR Solo is a really great quadcopter, they just got overrun by DJI with the Mavic and made some very poor business decisions.

I have 2 Solos and they are definitely satisfactory for professional level video and photography.

The DJI Mavic is better, but it is over $1000.00.

My 2 cents any way, a Phantom 3 is a good choice, but I believe the Solo is better.

Best,

Gary

Cj Bailey said:

Hey Gary,
    Thank you for the information. So if I wanted a good aerial drone for around $400, is a DJI phantom 3 my best option?
  • Hey Gary,
    Thank you for the information. So if I wanted a good aerial drone for around $400, is a DJI phantom 3 my best option?
This reply was deleted.

Activity