Flir Tau and other IR cameras

Hey everyone, new to the forum. I am a ME/AE at the University of Florida doing a project on building a UAV for wildfire surveillance.We need an infrared camera and the only options that I have found so far is the Flir Tau series. The max resolution for the Flir Tau is 320x240. We are looking for a camera with a resolution of 640x480. The only camera from Flir is the Photon 640, which is about 2.5 times the weight, and 8x the volume.I was wondering if anyone knows of any other IR cameras with similar weight and volume similar to the Flir Tau? (~100 grams, 1.2"x1.2"x1.4")Thanks all. Great forum BTW, very helpful for my project.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• We can offer thermal camera with resolution 640x512. That solution is favorites on universities because it is the only solution that offer radiometric data recording for subsequent processing.

http://www.drone-thermal-camera.com/thermal-vision-pro/
    • Both systems seem to require a rather inconvenient on board computing system that weighs costly grams to a UAV from what I see. Not the case with ICIs. I would enjoy seeing a net grams weight for total core system including lens, computer, and all wiring and Components
      • The additional features in Tau2 cameras — including Advanced Radiometry — are made possible by using more capable camera electronics (versus the first-generation Tau camera). This is what differentiates a Tau2 from a Tau(1). There is no added weight, as Radiometry and other new features are implemented in software and firmware. A Tau feature comparison can be viewed at www.flir.com/cvs/cores/view/?id=60983 . All Tau2 wide field of view cameras weigh 70-72 grams, including camera and lens. The radiometric data is presented at the primary Hirose connector interface, common to all Tau cameras. The only “wiring” would be that furnished by the UAV (drone) integrator to get the data from the camera to another subsystem such as a data recorder, downlink, or other device.

• If you own a Tau 2 we have a true fully digital, small format. < 5 grams, USB, back end solution.

• Tau2 cameras have been available from FLIR since mid-2012 with basic Radiometry enabled in all cameras, and Advanced Radiometry as an option. Basic features include Isotherms and Spot Meter. Advanced features include: improved accuracy; digital data linear in scene temperature; a user-definable region of interest (ROI) for temperature measurement; programmable parameters for emissivity, background temperature, and window transmission; 14-bit radiometric digital data; and a secondary normalization to compensate for effects of camera mounting, enclosure, or other environmental factors. FLIR's Advanced Radiometry Application Note is available at http://www.flir.com/cvs/cores/view/?id=51878

• At ICI, Infrared Cameras Inc. ee have a complete 320 x 240 and 640 x 480 radiometric solution that is powered by USB 2 and Video out buy USB 2. We also have a board that makes the Tau 2 320 x 240 and 640 x 480 Radiometric with our software and calibration. We can also provide a complete USB package that allows color radiometric data, change level and span, triggering , capture to SD Card as well as other functions. We also have several Patents Pending for this process which were applied for several years ago. The Tau 2 has 14 bit parallel digital output as Stan stated but the output is Camera Link which requires a large box or computer for conversion. All of our systems are powered by USB and Video out by USB. This is through one single cable. Our systems. Our 320 system with optics weighs 48 Grams and the 640 x 480 weighs 68 Grams and these are weights with a lens. Our complete system is bolt on, intuitive, simple and works out of the box. It is simply amazing! Or newest Micro-PC Systems supports 4 wavelength cameras and communication for control!

• we have a vue pro 640x512, any chance you have something that would make it radiometric?

• We can make a 320 or  640 Tau or Tau 2 Radiometric but the Flir Vue is Analog over USB so it is not a digital image and cannot be calibrated. If you need Radiometric you will need to sell or trade it and get a Flir Tau 640 and we can add our electronics and turn it in to a USB 2 Digital camera and then we can calibrate it. You will only get video out of any composite or analog camera and the Flir Vue is Analog.

• That's unfortunate it was advertised as "professional".
  • I have been using the TAU 2 324 to track wildlife. I find it more than capable to do the the job. Here are some of the videos if interested in seeing it in action. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfOneiFSbHfVnId8G_JJiHWvb7eZP...

This reply was deleted.

Activity