Foxtech D-130 X8 with PIXHAWK

Hi

I´m just finishing my build of this Giant X8 and being a Pixhawk fan the choice of autopilot was easy...

I made a search for D-130 X8 on the net but but didn´t find anything about anyone flying this beast with pixhawk...

I´m a litte bit nervous doing my maiden flight with this 9 000 $ rig. I need some advice...

My setup is

D-130 with U-8 Kv 170 motors on 6s 7200g

Foxtech supreme 2880 (very light 28" props for faster spinup).

2x 6s 16000Mah lipos  1920g each

Align G3 gimbal 1200g plus Panasonic GH4 camera with leica objective 800g

So total TOW will be around 13Kg

My questions??

1. Will it fly decent with default PID settings?  

2. Any recommendations for Stab P and Rate P to start with?

3. Would you recommend to make autotune flight with this low Kv motors (sync issue...)?3691187486?profile=original

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Tried to run autotune on this beast but it ended up with extremely hoígh values...

Stab P 8,3

Rate P 0,350 I 0,350 D 0,0200

Totally un-flyable values (not able to takeoff)

Made manual tuning instead and it´s now very stable and yet responsive.

Also mounted a second GPS Ublox-N8M With compass

The Neo-8 Recieved twice as many satellites as the Neo-7...!!

The loiter was noticeably more solid and the cold-start was much faster.

3701965587?profile=original 

• NIce maiden, looks like it flies quite well. I would run a auto tune then start flying some missions. I have 100 percent confidence in the pixhawk with big rigs however not many people are doing this. 

Perhaps because a lot more troubleshooting then dji easy setup etc.

Did you get gimbal connected to pixhawk ?

What led system did you use to get them on a switch? 

I would feel very confident in that machine to run some auto missions, especially with the X2 redundancy. 

Are u running pixhawk off your 6s?

• Justice gimbal and camera is controlled by a second radio TX

I think that the Pxhawk setup is really easy this days with the wizard and autotune.

The front led:s from e-bay are controlled by rc switch and the blinking ones on the arms are from goodluckbuy and can be controlled by switch but i decided to have them on default blinking

Tuned manually today and it fells very stable now yet very resposive impressive with this big props...

Tested 20 min of rock solid loiter today. Started to tune gimbal  and it is almost perfect now only a little small twitches in pitch. Will post video after fine tuning is done.

Pixhawk is fed from 2 different 6s bec:s one to the 6 pin power port and second one feeding output rail.

For V A telemetry I have an Attopilot 180A also connected to the 6 pin power port 

Will run autotune nextflight just to see if it gets any better than it allready is.

I have a lot of pictures from my build here   http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2213490&page=32

• Just made maiden flight..   :)

Tested with default PID:s the first flight.

No problems at all. I will have to increase Stab P and Rate P because it was a little bit slow to react.

Posting a video from todays first flight. 

I LOVE THE PIXHAWK <3

http://youtu.be/UXRyKAbkRhI

• Flew my Kraken with pixhawk no issues on maiden flight.. just make sure all props are spinning correct direction.

i prefer to do this test with props off, throttle up and tilt the whole aircraft. then determine if the motors spooling up are correct or not. 

• Thanks for answer Justice

Sounds confident that the kraken flew on default pid. But with 28" props i thought maybe the motors needs more power to spin up fast enough to correct..?

Yes I have armed and spun up all motors without props and (after corrections) they are all spinning the right way and connected to the correct ESC number.

Also checked that all the front motors increased rpm when elevator pulled back etc.... in all directions.

Maybe just give it a try :)

This reply was deleted.

Activity