Getting started-newbie-

i think this whole drone thing is a cool idea but im having trouble coming up with a total price for me to build one; im figuring out if i can afford it.
- i want a plane that i can put in some gps locations and it will go form a to b to ......
- i want to be able to mount multiple cameras and extra arduino sensors
- a plane suggestion would be good to
- i want to get live video feed from the plane

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If I was in your shoes, I would go about the whole thing in phases:

Phase 1:
    Buy an airplane (Tx + Rx as well) that can carry all of my gear and install the servos and Rx
    Learn to fly it (if you have not done that yet) and get comfortable to the controls because you need to manually take off and land it

Phase 2:
    Buy the basic autopilot parts needed ( ardupilot, gps, xyz sensors, FTDI cable)
    READ THE MANUAL and install the autopilot
    Do an automated basic flight
    Be more familiar with the autopilot

Phase 3:
    Add telemetry with a fixed camera to get familiar with the system

And then add all the other extras you want

This is how I would go about it making sure I learn each step instead of doing everything all at once
  • well he said he was thinking of lowering the price and plus ill take extra rc parts any day.

what are some things that tell you a radio is bad?
  • OK so I'm the other partner working on this project. and we are choosing to go with a 7 ch radio system.
    1.throttle
    2.rudder
    3.elevators
    4.Aileron
    5.pan(camera)
    6.tilt(camera)
    7.landing gear, payload drop, emergency parachute
    we are still trying to determine a good long distance receiver and transmitter though.
    this is what James had in mind but i was kind of sceptical because it was so cheap.
    http://unitedhobbies.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=...(Mode_1)_
    i have noticed on the remotes that ch 5,6,7 are on and of switches. so for the pan and tilt on the camera that wont work. so what i was thinking is to replace 2 of those switches with Potentiometer to make the camera have more possible positions then up down and left and right. I'm not quite sure if this will work because i don't know alot about how the transmitters and receivers work and what kind of signals they send out, but if anyone could help, that would be nice.
  • here is my plan, im gonna overload my self with info in the next couple days and talk to my partner some more. i have a year to do this project so im not gonna rush into buying a plane but does anyone think that its a good idea to decide a range then buy some electronics and practice with the electronics and find their weight and volume?
  • You'll have to think long and hard about what kind of range you want. Stock E-Star and cheap camera system wont get much out past about 100yds. If you start to upgrade (and you of course will. I for example am going with a carbon fiber E-Star, battery and motor upgrades, radio upgrades, video upgrades and building most of the stuff myself) your system will get upwards of $1500. The farther you want to fly out from where you are the more expensive it gets.

Airframe+ upgrades = $500
    Basic FPV = ~$500
    Basic Autopilot = $300

And for what you're asking it will be more on the video and pilot side.
  • Developer
    Airframe including motor, esc, servos - $100 to $400
    RC gear $100 to $400
    Autopilot with gps $250 - $500
    FPV video setup $200 - $1000

You can certainly do everything on your list, with the possible exception of multiple cameras, for under $1000. You could also easily spend $2k to $3k by the time you get done. The autopilot portion of the project is the easiest to define from a cost standpoint, but even with that there are lots of options.

Recommending an airplane is impossible without a lot more information. The best recommendation may be to start small and work your way up. If you have no RC experience start with an easy airframe like and EasyStar. If you have no FPV experience you need to do a lot of research, but still can start small. For example you don't need to start with video goggles. A simple inexpensive monitor can get you started.
This reply was deleted.

Activity