Gimbal for GoPro inside waterproof case?

It seems the popular Tarot and Zenmuse gimbals use the GoPro without it's rugged and waterproof housing.  Is there a reputable gimbal that will hold the GoPro while inside it's case?  I am leary of having a $400 camera outside it's protective case.  And if I go the amphibious route that I'm thinking about going, it would be required.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• http://swellpro.com/product/waterproof-gimbal/

Expensive mind...

• It is absolutely legit to be concerned about having your $400 camera completely exposed.

Here is my decimated GoPro after my last crash.

20150520_210709.jpg

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3691211446?profile=original
  • Thank you. Just to confirm. Both GoPro 2 and 3 cases will be compatible with this?

Thanks.

• I'm just designing this for the 3, because of the weight difference the parts would have to be changed to make a Hero2 balance. I'll post a thread showing how it all goes together and include CAD files for the parts. It shouldn't be too hard to modify the design for a Hero2.

• Tamas,

Just to be clear, I have no intention of trying to sell this gimbal on its own, as it is quite specific for my airframe. I merely wanted to chime in on this thread and support the idea that using the waterproof GoPro housing as part of a gimbal system is a good idea, and does not increase the weight of the system in a considerable way.

• Here is one I made about 18 months ago, before brushless controllers were so readily available:

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/rough-draft-clear-view-roll-til...

I have a brushless version almost ready for public reveal, give me another week or so and I'll share the details.

• Hi Joshua,

I'm willing to wait for your setup, can you tell us anything about what we can expect?

THanks!

• My design criteria are:

• waterproof/dustproof
        • maintain video out
        • reasonably easy sd removal
        • no props even in 170* gopro
        • clear view on the tilt axis from nadir to zenith (for many inspection jobs this is critical)
        • quick change between gopro and mapping still camera or I.R. etc
        • weight similar to the current goPro 2 axis
        • next step is three axis (limited pan, similar to DJI's new one)
        • Hi Joshua,

do you have any update. I would be interested as well. I have a GoPro 2 and I would really like to use it on a gimbal.

Thanks.

Tamas

• Hi,

I was looking for this for a loong long time and today when I just stopped looking for it for like 2 - 3 month's I think I finally found a retailer which could give you the solution:

Scarab Armoured gimbal

I'm also a paddler and working on a aquacopter for quite a long time (heavily customized) and the gimbal was the last peace of the puzzle. This setup is quite lean and it weighting around 192gram exluding the gimbal

Scarab_armoured_gimbal_black_0020__36299.1378291128.480.480.jpg?c=2

Let me know if it is helpful for you

Cheers

This reply was deleted.

Activity

Neville Rodrigues liked Neville Rodrigues's profile
Jun 30
Santiago Perez liked Santiago Perez's profile
Jun 21
More…