How to ... install a camera in a UAV body?

Hi,

I am worried. I bought a Bormatec Maja airplane in which I´d like to install a camera (canon ixus? panasomic lumix?) for mapping purposes. Hence the camera should be installed into the "floor" of the plane. However, I am too worried cutting a hole into my new plane only to realize that I messed it up!

Is anybody aware of a tutorial video or does anyone has some tips how to start and/or what to consider before/after installation?

Any help is very much appreciated!

Jens

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Do you have the wide bodied Maja or a standard Maja / Explorer?

I had the design done in Auto CAD then cut out of plywood using a laser. If you already have a link to a gimbal, does that not have a way to fix it inside the plane?

• Hi Keith

It is the standard Maja body.

• Hi Keith

Ok, I am now in a place where the internet connection is better. My whole idea is to fit the Gimbal inside your Frame. This way all the electronics will be placed on the other areas in the frame and the Gimbal with the camera in it's rightfull place....everything nicely organised!

Is there any possibilty that I could have a copy of your CAD files please? I am getting the standard size Maja. How do you find the Maja?

Regards, Michael

• Hi Michael,

I really liked the Maja, but wanted something that could carry a larger camera, so I got a wide bodied one, although it took me a long time to get it flying, so I bought a SkyWalker2013 last summer and it has done most of the work.

Here are some images that may help you, see the ones above that were posted last year, but be aware that the ones with the SONY NEX7 are of the Wide Bodied Maja;

3702364267?profile=original3702364341?profile=originalThe CAD files are below;

Maja camera blank.3dm

p3_illustrator [Converted].ai

Bormatec_Payload_Final.zip

• Hi Keith The

• Keith, this setup is perfect. Anything I can do to get my hands on this tray or detailed enough drawings to get it cut out locally? I have access to a laser cutter. I haven't purchased my cameras yet, but these are more than sufficient for my needs.

Also, where did you get your IR converted s90 or where did you get it converted?

• Hi Paul,

I've sent you a friends request, so we can converse via PM's.

Regards,

Keith,

• Awesome! Thank you very much, Keith! This looks very helpful.

Two things I do not understand.

1) How did you know where to place the cameras within the body in order not to destroy the balance of the UAV?  I mean you cannot cut a hole into the body and then realize that it should be 2 cm left or right. did you use a balance ? but how?

2) I thought that Canon would be the easiest option due to the CDHK. how do you trigger the nexus ? 

as I have progress, I will post it here :)

thank you!

jens

This reply was deleted.

Activity