This project doesn't seem so complicated but it doesn't work as I expected.

I ordered the 3dr Bluetooth module from 3DR Robotics, which is intended to be used on board the APM 2.6 to send and receive information from a bluetooth enabled Android device (tablet).

I thought it should work the other direction, as a bridge, by doing this:

Remotely power the module and the 3DR telemetry radio with 3 volts - success

Connect the TX and RX on the 3DR radio to the TX and RX leads on the Bluetooth module - success

Pair the module with the android tablet - success

Open up Droid Planner and connect - Binds with the module but does not process any info from the APM.

Is there a way to get this module to work? 3691193535?profile=original

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This would be extremely handy as I could charge my tablet during flight and still be connected to drone. 

Have you made any progress on this? 

• Negative.

Sent the question for a reply to 3DR and I got a "....any thing other than the standard application for this part is not recommended...." or something like that. In other words, we could probably help you but we cant because what you're asking for isn't part of the design parameters.

I then ordered a bluetooth bridge for $150 from Event38, I got it to pair to the Android based tablet but it would not transmit any data. I havent taken the issue up with Event38 yet.  I will post a reply here when I have something from them.

Event38 Bluetooth Telemetry Bridge

• Admin

@Dave,

I have a 3DR telemetry to Bluetooth Event38 bridge and it works as advertised with my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 in tablet so I do not understand your issue.

Does your aircraft telemetry radio have the same ID as the bridge telemetry radio?

Regards,

TCIII AVD

• Thanks Thomas,

Yeah it does. Just tried the bridge connected directly to the laptop and it doesn't connect either, so Im guessing it must be a defective unit. 

• Damn I already ordered long range blue tooth telemetry bridge:

http://www.event38.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BTB%2DLR

It was $250! hopefully it works ugh... 

• That device should work as it's the same setup that is used by DJI to talk to there NAZA unit since they only support iPhones and they do not have a USB port.

Your setup is the same as the above DIY above.  The problem could be that there is not enough power.  Most of the units are powered with 5 volts.  Powering it with two batteries is only 3 volts witch may not be able to power the unit properly.

• It doesn't work for me either. Using HC-06, paired with tablet just don't connect whatever I'm using droidplanner or tower. But it works on Mission Planner. Baud rate to 57600, Rx to Tx, Tx to Rx

• Oops, The Tx goes to the Rx and the Rx goes to the Tx.

Transmit goes to receive and Receive goes to transmit.

• Thanks Michael. I don't get any packets from the APM when I connect it as shown. When using it as a bridge the TX on the module should be connected to the TX on the radio and RX to Rx. But I did try it both ways with the same result...nothing.

Doesn't make sense so I was hoping there was a work around that someone has found. 

• For a minute there I though you were one of those iphone people because that's how they do it.  This is the exact configuration used by DJI to connect to there copters.

So yes this should work.  The Bluetooth unit must be configured for 57600 to talk to the radio.  From there it's just a relay to the copter.

I have the radio without the Bluetooth connected to a Micro Controller and it works just fine.  This is with a Pixhawk though so my setup is a little different than APM.

By default it should be sending Mavlink Heartbeat packets if its working.

This reply was deleted.

Activity