Interested in UAVs but want unconventional setup

Hey guys, I found out about the UAV scene and want to get involved, and was hoping that everyone could answer some questions. My queries are as follows:

(1) Is using a Wi-Fi signal and on-plane access point a possible way of telemetry using the Arduino Ethernet shield?

(2) How do you set up the Ardupilot to make use of the "Point Camera Here" function on Mission Planner?

(3) And finally, what are some ideas for a non-Xbee-based antenna tracker? I am hoping for some long range flying, and omnidirectional antennas wont cut it.

Thanks in advance for any help I receive.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Well, this is all the more I could think of to add to the chart. Any more input about anything I might be missing?

UAV Comms.jpg

I just stumbled across this thread.  I have some thoughts on your design as i'm doing something similar to you but have you seen and considered this?

http://store.diydrones.com/PhoneDrone_Board_p/br-phonedrone.htm

It may remove/change some of the gear you have on your diagram. 

I would probably simplify your diagram to remove the vehicle specific parts and focus in on the comms/camera work in more detail - I would also include the specs of what you're trying to achieve and any boundaries in which you have to work.

With regards to 3, why does it need to be non-xbee based?  And are you planning on using the APM with a GPS installed?

• So no one at all knows anything about setting up Ardupilot to communicate on a LAN network?

• Here's the flow chart for my desired setup. Arrows with the handle mean one way communication, wheras two arrows mean back and forth communication. If anyone can answer my questions or add some constructive criticism, that would be great.

UAV visual setup.png

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3692549922?profile=original
  • Yes, an amplified Wi-fi signal with a tracking antenna. I figured the easiest way to set up a turnkey UAV system complete with a PTZ camera setup would be a Wi-fi connection with a multi-port access point on the plane, supporting a connection to Ardupilot and the IP camera simultaneously on ONE connection. Also, I already fly radio control aircraft, and am by no means a beginner.I have a flow chart on my home computer that explains everything; that'll be up later this afternoon.

• Anyone? The most important priority is a Wi-Fi telemetry link. Is it possible to set up Ardupilot to communicate in this way?

This reply was deleted.

Activity