Replies

• i think they have a person named Tran there

• There are a few million people with that last name and not everyone works for 3DR. Although it might be a nice company to work for. Keep in mind that they are a startup. And like many other start ups, they probably have challenges introducing new products. It's kind of expected when buying anything from a startup. We are like early adopters. If the Iris+ kit does what they claim! I'd be very happy.
            • i would be happy if it did what they promised with the regular Iris.

now they promise a whole lot more.

whats that saying...?

fool me once shame on you,

fool me twice shame on me...

im just curious are you happy shelling out more money?

• Hehehe... this is an expensive hobby. I bought my Iris 7 weeks ago. As I said, I have experienced some problems with it (gimbal shaking, poor flight time). But I guess I sort of expected that. I was deciding between the Phantom 2 and the Iris. I chose the Iris (right or wrong), because I like the look, it is based on a very active and great open-sourced platform, it has room for me to tinker with, it is a well-funded US startup, etc. I have been in the startup world for 17 years. I know what it is like using a product from a startup as well as introducing new products. The Iris is surprisingly resilient and is built like a tank compared to other quadcopters in that price range. I crashed it a few times and all I had was to replace some propellers (actually 8 broken propellers to date). I guess because of that, it tends to be on the heavy side. My guess is if my Iris collides against my friend's Phantom 2, the Phantom would be a gonner. My plan was to start with the Iris and some day, take the electronics out (Pixhawk, GPS, etc.), buy a Y6 or quad frame and build a 3DR Y6 or X8. The Iris is more of a starting point for me. But I totally can see your frustration if what you bought turned out to be less than you expected.

• thanks i guess i was just venting.

i really hope that 3dr steps up to the plate.

that is how you become a mainstay in any start up.

may be because of  their bigger customers i.e. govt... they can just spit on us and demand more for parts that should be included in our original "start up cash" model. they can have all my inferior arms, motors, propellers, battery, charger(which still is junk). 

• wow i got to beta test and it only cost me $750.

Now to help you beta test the 2.0 i gotta cough up another"COOL" $200?

Can  i get my refund instead.

• Do you know if you can plan a GPS mission outside of the range of the telemetry?  For instance my farm field is 2 miles long and I want to fly to the end and back.  Will the iris accept a flight path like that?  Will the telemetry just drop and then resume once the copter is back in range?

• Yes, you can. Out of the range of telemetry is not a problem. Out of the range of receiver could be a problem. But you can still do it.

With AC 3.1, there are 2 ways to continue the mission out of the receiver's range. Each has its risk.

1, you set receiver failsafe to be "auto". So the quadcopter will continue to fly waypoints when lost signal. This is what I do because I typically enter auto mode shortly after taking off. But the pitfall is you may lose signal when not in auto mode. I don't know what would happen in such occasion.

The 2nd way is to set the failsafe such to continue to do what it was doing. So when you are in auto mode and it get too far, out of the range, it will continue the mission. The risk is, if you lose connection with receiver when the copter is ascending or flying forward, it will continue to do so. Who knows how far it can go before running out of "gas"!
      • Developer

You shouldn't do either of these options.

Just set your receiver fail-safe to the continue mission in Auto setting. This then will finish the mission if you are in Auto or do a return to launch in any other mode.

I think you will do 4 miles with the iris set to 10m/s. If it doesn't it will be very close. Just set the mission and follow it in a car the first time. This is a test a couple of friends and I want to do. We suspect there will be a sweet velocity where the range is maximised.

• That should be possible.  The mission is loaded onto Iris so it should just continue to the next waypoint.

I doubt you will get a 4 mile flight though out of any suitable battery.

This reply was deleted.

Activity