Let's talk Canon cameras

Id love to get an idea what people are using for their aerial mapping Canon cameras. I have the Canon S95, which usis optical image stabilization (OIS). This means the lenses are floating and move around in a very finite level to adjust for your hand movement. This poses a big problem for aerial work when the vibrations are noticeable. The lenses literally vibrate and no amount of shutter speed can fix it. I get very poor results; most aren't keepers but sometimes they are depending on motor rpm. Ive tested this camera for years on many different platforms, tried every vibration reduction method and still get bad results.

So, I'd love to hear what you are using and how the results work.

Matt

UPDATE: Ive ditched the Canon s95 in favor of a Sony NEX-5R with an intervalometer app. Ill be using a Sigma 30mm lens.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Someone have tried the gopro with the black bone mod?

• Do any of the NEX models have an intervelometer?

• i'm not very experienced in aereal photography but, some preliminar test i made went better than i expected, hardfixing the camera to the frame (no bibration reduction or anything else) so i woud sugest:

- use larger proppelers, i'm using graubner 14x8 and XOAR 16x4

- use well ballanced proppellers

- user longer arms, i have a 1meter diameter from motor to motor.

• T3

I use ELPH 520, in a "waterproof" (not anymore) case, riding on rubber shock mounts.  The pictures come out clear with no motion blur.

• Seems a good alternative, plus you get a bigger sensor and better optics. The only problem is more weight and the higher price.

• In my company UAVs we ever used the S line of cameras (started with s95, then S100 and now S110). And we never had problems with vibrations and blur. We run then on a small electrical fixed wing UAV, and also on a big 25kg UAV with a 5HP engine that vibrates like hell and never had such problems. I recommend all the folks said Tv Mode, 1/1000 aperture, 100 to 400 ISO.

Beside flying the camera, I have a S95 that sometimes I use while riding my longboard, and it generates very fast vibrations that not affect any of the photos that I took.

Perhaps you have a defective camera.

• Picture taken with Canon S100

image.jpg

• It appears that some participants in this thread are less than impressed with the Canon S100 due to image blur. I'm not sure what all the differences are, but I've had excellent results with the S100. My shutter speed is 1/2000, with ISO 80 to 100 on bright days. It is mounted on a Gaui Crane II gimbal on a DJI F550. The gimbal is mounted via sorbothane pads.
    The first picture allowed me to see a missing roof tile (:
  • The Nex-5N is stunning!  Shot some video with it today.  No problem with vibration at all, I even left the OIS on!

• I just got CHDK loaded and working on my A4000IS. Playing around with 1/100k shutter speed - works awesome in hand. Can't wait to bolt it up to the quad tomorrow.

This reply was deleted.

Activity