Distributor

LidarLite working correctly? - SOLVED

Hi

I am trying to set up a LidarLite sensor from PulsedLight.

I set it up according to the wiki (new sensor, manufactured Feb 2015, interfaced with a Pixhawk)

http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-optional-hardware/common-rangefinder-landingpage/common-rangefinder-lidarlite/

In the wiki it points to the Flight Data Screen to test the sensor,

but I only get zero as reading in this window.

But if I check in the terminal,

I can see that the sensor is working (see attached file),

so is it working ok? Is the wiki wrong?

Thanks a lot,

Felix

Capture.JPG

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Felix, good thought - The 5V supply is looking clean, coming from a BEC. I think I just discovered the fix, posting below.

• Interesting. I am flying a LidarLite V1 on PWM with AC 3.3.2.
      Measurements are pretty exact and I don't want to miss it anymore
      I also tested a LidarLite V2 on I2C with the same Pixhawk running AC3.3.2 with similar (correct) measurements.
      I have also set
      RNGFND_SCALING = 1
      RNGFND_OFFSET = 0
      as you did.
  • So PWM is the way to go for now it sounds like even with the v2.

Has lidar been tested with 3.3 stable?

Is any one using lidar and optical flow- PX4flow- successfully?
    • I got the lidar connected via PWM and it is giving readings on the sonar range line.

Do I need to set a flight mode to use lidar or does it automatically over ride the barometer in the flight modes?
      • Distributor

the Lidar is used in flight modes which have height control, such as Altitude Hold, Loiter and PosHold Mode.

The data from the sensor will be used until you exceed RNGFND_MAX_CM, after that it switches to the barometer.

Currently Lidar is not supported in Auto Mode.

• When will Lidar be supported in auto-mode? The obvious use for something like this is to ensure precise altitude control when flying automated grid flights over an area of interest with cameras or sensors.

• Thank you, that info helps a lot.

When I read throught the arducopter lidar set page I did not see this important piece of information. Maybe it should be there in one of the highlighted bubbles so it can not be easily missed.
  • I do have the same issue as others have posted here after installing my brand new LidarLite I purchased form UAV Store in Grmany - I get a "Bad Lidar Health" message in MP, and Sonar Range and Sonar Value shows 0 with no data being read.

My LidarLite has a manufacturing datre of March 2015. I am running Arducopter 3.3.

I followed exactly the instructions in the Wiki, connected via PWM. The Servo Rail is powered via the BEC of my ESC. I checked the correct wiring and parameter setting multiple times.

Since everything else works fine with AC3.3, I am wondering if the sensor is defect.

Is there any way how I can test whether the Lidar is working or not?

Is there a possiblility to reset the sensor?

This reply was deleted.

Activity