Live Airplane Tracking for .35 cents a day

I guess some of you already know that you can get a boost mobile phone pre-paid and use it as a LIVE GPS tracker by only paying .35 cents a day for data, and the days that you dont use it you wont get billed. It works by downloading a program to the phone and tracked on instamapper.com

Well I decided to modify my Motorola i335 boost mobile phone, and remove all the unnecesary plastic, vibration motor, speakers, etc. I only left the keypad, and GPS, CELLULAR antennas, the LCD displaycan be taken out too.

The cellular can be programed to start and run the GPS TRACKER software as soon the phone is on, so I dont need the LCD display to know if the program is running or not, but the weight of the LCD is not that much so I will leave it behind the keypad.

The phone runs on 3.7v so I will connect it to my 3S Video TX battery with a regulator apart from the main battery for the ardupilot and motor.

IMG_0099.JPG

IMG_0102.JPG

IMG_0104.JPG

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• looking good! great modify
  • It works fine but I need more testing, aparently the GPS antenna is part of the push to talk switch, if I remove the switch I wont get GPS signal. Battery life is pretty decent about 8 hours on my last test thats more than enought to find my plane if It gets lost, and a great thing about www.instamapper.com is that it datalogs your last 1000 positions, so if someone finds the plane and takes it home and the gps battery dies, you still will have the 1000 last postions.
  • Looks great.

Does it work well? Can it output to NMEA format? Battery life? Final Thoughts?
  • I uploaded. 3 images can yiu see them?
  • You can upload images - and they will show on the main post
This reply was deleted.

Activity