Manual Mode? How to? Startup sequence?

Perhaps I am missing something big here.  I have I think pretty much everything working on my quadcopter.  I can read all inputs on it from the R/C.  My mode switch works... Currently it switches from ACRO, STABILIZE and SIMPLE.  My process is the following.

I plug in the LiPO battery into the PDU.  This turns on my APM and I get the "arming beeps" from the speed controllers.  At this point I would assume that I could move my flight stick throttle up and the thing would take off (or spin motors rather as blades are not hooked up). 

However nothing happens.  I connect to the quad using the APM Planner (USB or XBEE as both work) and see that right now I do NOT have a gps lock.  I am testing indoors.  Not sure if this is revelant but thought I would document this.

I can now go into CLI mode and go to tests >> current and can spin all motors with my R/C by moving the throttle.  However,  if I go to motors I get the blank line then move my R/C throttle/pitch/yaw  and I get nothing.

Is there something obvious I am missing?  I have attached a pic of my build as well.  Not sure if it will help at all.  But this is it.  Again,  I was having trouble getting all the inputs to read from my R/C but its all reading fine now.  (at least in calibration mode).  I have a Futaba T7C and a R617FS Futaba receiver.  Everything else is pretty much basic off the shelve DIY Drones store stuff.  Minus the motors and ESCs.2011-09-20%25252022.36.22.jpg

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Stupid question?  Do I have to use a Magnetometer?  With quads?  I bought the oilpan thinking it had everything I needed... Is this not the case?

Riley

• I marked each of the arms with the output number (1-4), the rotation direction and wether or not its a pusher or a puller, with a black indelible marker.

Makes it faster to get that right when putting the props on.

• Developer

Definitely spend more time with the manual. It will save you a crash or two. Make sure you do a hand test. If it feels right in the hand it will fly. 

Jason

A few other questions worth asking in passing:

* did you calibrate your ESCs?

* did you balance your props?

- after you arm

* are each of the motors spinning in the correct direction? [props are off, right? need those fingers]

* do they respond correctly? hold it in your hand, twist it, rotate it, feel the motors try to correct

There are a few special TX commands you will want to know (they are all in the manual)

Yaw hard right to arm 

Yaw hard right for 20 seconds to arm and enable auto-trim for first 45 seconds of flight

Yaw hard left to disarm (note: also saves some eeprom settings; do this before unplugging battery, or before approaching landed aircraft)

Yaw hard left for 15 seconds to level (while on the ground)

Happy hacking. Let me or nova-uav-flyers (see members/local) know if you want to meet. 

yep, you're not armed. Hold your transmitter on extreme right yaw for a few seconds, then release.

Watch the blinking green LED. When it goes solid, you are armed. Throttle away.

• Hey,

your frame looks really solid....maybe a bit too heavy. You know the lighter the frame the longer you can fly?

nice looking frame, by the way. You're about 50 miles from me. 

When arming, are you in stabilize mode? Does the green LED on your IMU go solid?

This reply was deleted.

Activity