Just received my mini APM 3.1 board and loaded the latest copter V3.2.1 without incident.  upon connection, however all versions hang in the parameters section.  Usually RC4_REV.  This occurs in all versions of firmware until I get to 2.9.1B.  that's the only version that passes.  I guess I would be OK with that, but when I attempt an accelerometer calibration it just cycles through all settings automatically (Without me touching any buttons) and fails.

I was really hoping that I could use one of the later versions, so I hope I'm just missing something.  Currently I'm only connected to the Mini APM through mission planner with the USB cable. No battery, no GPS or any other connections.  I didn't want to risk hooking anything up unless I was sure the APM was good.  I've watched several vids online, so I'm fairly certain I should at least be able to at least pass the parameters and calibrate the Accelerometer.  

I've validated that I'm at the correct baud rate in mission planner and in device manager.  I've tried both MAC and Windows 8 PC's and I've tried 2 separate USB cables.  

Any suggestions?  

IMG_0921.JPG

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have had a lot of problems with usb cables working.  I find that the longer cables are problematic.  I have found that some of my short cables work reliably.  This was very confusing at first.  All it is I think is the current being pulled by the AP and the length or quality of the cable.

I have also found Windows 8 the be much more reliable than Windows 7 over usb.  Windows 7 would require 3 connect attempts to get connected.

Before you send anything back, I would connect a 5 v regulator ( assume that is what you use on the Mini) as a power source instead of relying on the USB.

In the past when my longer cables would not connect, I had to apply regulated power, then the usb works.

Hope this helps.

• I'm concerned about hooking up any additional power along with the USB as I've read:  that can cause an issue with the MPU.  Do you suggest pulling the USB apart and removing the 5v line and connecting that to another source?

• Check your 3.3V voltage regulator, it may be blown. If not, then your MPU6000 is probably fried.

• As I understand:  the Mini apm does not have 3.3v.  It's 5V only.  That kind of narrows it down!!  I'm disappointed that my unit wasn't tested prior to shipping.  I doubt it was fried by only hooking up the USB cable.  I guess I'll be out of order for another 3 weeks.  I finished my quad over a month ago.  Just been waiting on a working controller...

Thanks very much for your responses, guys..  

• Considering the MPU6000 runs on 3.3V, it has to have a 3.3v regulator somewhere.

What Sascha said

• Update:  From terminal I get this:

3Calibrating barometerQ///+?QC^///+eO3barometer calibration complete4Z3GROUND STARTAFailed to boot MPU6000 5 times
    QFailed to boot MPU6000 5 times
    Failed to boot MPU6000 5 times
    QFailed to boot MPU6000 5 times
    Failed to boot MPU6000 5 times
    3Initialising APM...qQ
    ///+?Failed to boot MPU6000 5 times
    Qs<///+Failed to boot MPU6000 5 times
    PANIC: failed to boot MPU6000 5 times

Seems as though I've got a hardware problem.. Brand new unit..  Only connected the usb cable....  

This reply was deleted.

Activity