MinimOSD - Black screen/no image

Hi all !

I need help about my MinimOSD freshly unpacked.

I've triple checked the cabling and I don't know why I've just a black image on my screen.
There is a suspicious comportement when I power on the system. I explain how it happens:
1. Connect correctly the Vin/Vout/RX/BLK between APM, MinimOSD and video transmitter 
2. Power on the APM 
3. Connect the battery balance connector 12V to the MinimOSD  

At point 2, the ST led (orange) blink and the D PWR (red) led power on and still.  
When I do the point 3, the ST led shut off and the A PWR led power on and still. 
After that, I just have a black screen... It's weird because the system worked at least once!  
The firmware is up to date and I use a XBee but I've not connected the TX port on the minimOSD.

What's wrong ? Someone can help me ?

Thanks in advance ;-)

Jerome

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The reason you want separate batteries is to avoid the camera seeing the spikes that happen when your aircraft need for power changes.

• This reply was deleted.
    • Dont move electronics around. Its too easy to plug something in wrong and it costs time. Better to buy multiple whatevers for each aircraft.

• You probably don't have a common ground between the board, the camera, and the transmitter. There is almost no possibility that the chip is bad.
      • This reply was deleted.
        • The thing is, even if you set fire to the chip, there should be video pass through. Not a black screen.

• This isn't true at least on the 1.1 version, if the OSD is off, you get no video throughput. I wish they would have designed it to just tap into the video with a Y connector so that if it fails you don't lose video.

• How are you powering your camera ? The video out and ground from the camera need to be connected to the minimosd. If you can see the overlay but the background is black, sounds like your camera setup is not powered

• I've already fried 7 MinimOSDs (original and clones) trying to get it to work on a single battery system AND without a ground loop.

Most people who've got it working on a single battery system do it by powering it from the APM, soldering the 2 tabs, and removing the 12V + connection. The problem with that is that there are 2 routes to ground.

Trying to achieve a star-ground, I removed the ground wire on the APM telemetry side.

My APM is powered via the power module and my video gear from the balance connector. 

If I power my APM first and then the video gear, it all works. 

If I power my video gear first and then my APM, then the MinimOSD fries.

I'm still confused as to why it's happening. It makes no sense to me at all. That's why I've already destroyed 7 in trying to figure it out.

I'm done with experimenting now, because it's becoming too costly. I've got more MinimOSDs coming in the mail and I'll just have to connect them with ground loops and pray for the best.

I just wish 3DR or someone would redesign this pos OSD so that it will be more reliable and not so noisy on UHF if powered by the video side, and most important of all dump that Maxim chip and replace it with something else.

• I just created a diagram demonstrating what I wrote above.3702488699?profile=original

• At step 5, when you connect the Lipo with the balance connector, the analog part of OSD will be powered by the OSD regulator. Because the two solder tabs are bridged, this will also power the digital OSD part, AND the APM, AND the power module, and the ESC's ! This is too much consumption for the voltage regulator of the OSD -> it fries

• I do not want to start one of those back-and-forth nasty FPV arguments, so please take this gently. With the diagram you provide, so long as each part is doing its job correctly, there is no way you can fry a MinimOSD. No way. It has one power line and one ground. 

With that said, I think one or more of your components is not behaving well. Your Vtx. Has it been the same one for all seven (7) that you have fried? Because if you connect the lipo balance first, then the transmitter is powered fully. When you power the rest, I would bet there is a spike on the ground line. There could also be a spike on the signal line, but it shouldn't fry anything. It would be the Vtx or camera causing this. Because if I hooked up mine this way, it would not fry it. It simply couldn't physically do it unless there was suddenly power flowing the wrong way or if the video signal line had a big spike. 

With all that said, just pull the ground off the board at the video side and use the APM telemetry port to provide the ground. So the ground goes from camera to Vtx, bypassing the board altogether. If the ground comes from the APM, then all you need is a single video line entering and exiting the MinimOSD. 

This reply was deleted.

Activity