Modelling buildings

Hi all

Was wondering if anyone knows how to autonomously capture images for photogrammetry of buildings. The idea would be to set up a spiral flight plan around for example a tower with a common point of interest.

regards

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Stephen 

Thanks for your input. 

I have tried what you have explained and it does kind of work. I guess that the step I am missing though is the manual alignment.

Could you please explain this process in more detail or send me a link.

Many thanks

Stephen Zidek said:

I have found a grid of nadir photos coupled with a "ring" of photos taken from the ground to be effective.  This requires manual alignment of the two photosets in Photoscan.

• Hi Will

Many thanks for your constructive feedback. We also have a Sony A7 and a machine which uses a Pixhawk FC. Unfortunately we do not have a trigger cable which works for this. Do you have any recommendations on where we could find this? 

Currently we are using another setup with a Samsung NX1100 which works really nicely and I will be testing using this setup. 

I have done a few models of houses and buildings so far but in all cases I have found certain areas to be blurred or twisted. Stephen mentions manual alignment in Photoscan?  

I guess that Photoscan gets confused if you enter top down pictures with aerial view from around the building and ground data all in one data set?

Looking forward to your response

Dave

Will Fellmeth said:

Dave,

There are a whole bunch of ways you could go about doing this. I personally like one of two options: using a pixhawk controlled Turbo Ace Matrix with a Sony A7 camera or using a DJI Inspire with their X5 camera. The former requires a more tech savvy and open to do some research individual but provides better images with smaller Ground Sample Distances (GSD), while the later is more lay-man friendly but does not have the image quality of the former. As for modeling software I prefer Pix4D or Agisoft. And as for the actual flights to capture the images, I would do one nadir flight over the building to capture its top and surrounding area, and then follow up with a number of oblique flights (depending on how tall this structure is and what GSD your looking for) around the structure.

This is a (very) quick explanation of the processes my colleagues and I follow to do our photogrammetry. If you have more specific questions please don't hesitate to ask.

But to directly answer your question, yes many people (including myself) have experience doing this kind of work.

Cheers,

Will F

• T3

I have found a grid of nadir photos coupled with a "ring" of photos taken from the ground to be effective.  This requires manual alignment of the two photosets in Photoscan.

• Dave,

There are a whole bunch of ways you could go about doing this. I personally like one of two options: using a pixhawk controlled Turbo Ace Matrix with a Sony A7 camera or using a DJI Inspire with their X5 camera. The former requires a more tech savvy and open to do some research individual but provides better images with smaller Ground Sample Distances (GSD), while the later is more lay-man friendly but does not have the image quality of the former. As for modeling software I prefer Pix4D or Agisoft. And as for the actual flights to capture the images, I would do one nadir flight over the building to capture its top and surrounding area, and then follow up with a number of oblique flights (depending on how tall this structure is and what GSD your looking for) around the structure.

This is a (very) quick explanation of the processes my colleagues and I follow to do our photogrammetry. If you have more specific questions please don't hesitate to ask.

But to directly answer your question, yes many people (including myself) have experience doing this kind of work.

Cheers,

Will F

• Hi Anton

Thanks for your feedback and your concerns for my drone, my health and the health of others. I am pleased to hear there are people out there aware of the risks.

Lets say this is a barn out in the farm fields and those concerns are not any issue. Do you know of any means of autonomous control as per my first question??

Regards

• Autonomous navigation between the buildings is dangrous for your drone, the lives of other people and you. Maybe it's better to fly over the building and use different inclinations of the camera.

This reply was deleted.

Activity