MQ-9 Predator Schematics

Hi All,I'm embarking on a scratch build MQ-9 and I'm in search of schematics for the the dimensions of the real MQ-9. I've done a lot of research on line but can find simple details like the angle of the tail fins, I'm thinking about 30 degrees but really want to ensure I'm correct on the small things. Also I'm unsure of the height from ground to the base of the main fuselage and also on the crosse ton of the fuse as well.I appreciate I'm new here but would very much appreciate any help to get started.ThanksStephen

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Another DIYD post about the MQ-9 model is HERE. That fellow started the project then sold it to another member who posted a pic HERE.

Another member modified his build with LOTS of battery and some wheel offsets HERE.

Revisiting my earlier numbers...

MQ-9 has 86 ft wingspan (1032 inches). That puts the nitroplanes model around 1/10 to 1/11 scale.

MQ-1 had the 48 ft wingspan (576 inches).

Scanning posts shows many mods to strengthen the wing...highly loaded and definitely NOT an aerobatic aircraft.

And...as you probably have seen, there seems to be no scratch build plans out there for download or purchase. Looks like an opportunity to me. Put them lines down Stephen!

Draw on!

-=Doug

• For around $200 you can buy an ARF... http://www.nitroplanes.com/projet-drone-2500mm-kit.html  IF it is still available.

Is it 1/5 scale? I don't know.  My local hobby shop has a similar kit for $208. One of the fellows there is building one and the quality is pretty good.

Advertised wingspan of the nitroplanes unit is 98 inches.

If you are talking about the original MQ-9, Wiki says the wingspan was 48 feet (576 inches). 576/5 = 115.2 inches for a 1/5 scale model. The nitroplane version is between 1/5 and 1/6 scale, closer to 1/6 .

In fact, there was a DIYD blog on one model of the MQ-9 HERE.

The LHS kit has plenty of room in the fuselage for gear and even has a facsimile of the camera pod that is begging to be modded for hobby UAV tasks.

-=Doug

• Are you planning to build this life size or scale? You're going to need a big garden... 

This reply was deleted.

Activity