Need Quadcopter help - 13 year-old boy

Hey, I need some help building a quadcopter. I have parts I am going to buy, and would like to learn how to build the quadcopter. I am open to critiques and really  need help. I am going to apply for a prestigious high school and need help soon. 

here is the parts, i just need help building it....

also if you know other parts that are about the same price and are better, tell me please..........

How to build a quad-copter

I need …

1. DJI 450 flamewheel
  2. D2830-11 1000kv brushless motor
  3. RCTimer 30A SimonK ESC
  4. KK2.0 Multirotor LCD Flight Control Board w/ Updated Firmware
  5. Turnigy 9x 9ch Transmitter w/ Module and 8ch receiver
  6. Quad flyer Propeller 10”x4.7”
  7. Turnigy nano-tech 3000mAh 3S LiPo
  8. IMAX B6-AC Charger/Discharger 1-6 cells

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hey, I got one almost done by now. I have a turnigy 2.4ghz 9x8 cv2 reciever, and a kk2.1 circuit board. How can I connect them?

Jack

• Hey!

I'm 12 and I have build quite a couple of multirotors.  At was at your stage once and had these troubles, but once you learn, you will never forget!  To answer your question, you need to get 10CM Servo Lead (JR) 32AWG Ultra Light (10pcs/bag).  Also, a really helpful website you may want to look at is http://fpvcentral.net/2013/03/high-performance-quadcopter-for-120-s....  It shows you exactly how to build a quadcopter (that is very similar to your setup) and every part that you need to do so.  I didn't use it but I sure wish I had!  I think it will really help speed up your build time.  Hope you have fun!

- Tristan (a.k.a. Scratchbuildrc on youtube)

• My first Quad was a DJI Flamewheel using much the same as you have chosen with the exception i used 700KV motors and the APM2.6 and a GPS. Trust me RTL (Return to Launch) saved my quad numerous times from mostly bad piloting.

I had a Flight time of around 7 minutes.

I think what you have chosen is good entry level. Can't comment on the KK2 as ive never used it.

You could add tall legs and add a gimble for a go pro etc as well.

Think about a 4000 - 5000mah Lipo for longer flight times.

I am using the CC3D on my miniquad and its great.

• Hi Jack,

We don't know what's your flying experience, so i assume you are new into multirotor flying. My advice for your first build keep it simple and easy. Less complicated build means less maintenance and cost plus more fun.  

I have a durable FPV quad build budget under $150 dollars. Its fun and best ever quad i had flown on daily basis.  I own Q450 and 250 size with APM but this low budget keeps my drone flying passion alive everyday.  Check my building link here for your starter.  Its 160mm quad, super durable, 1s 500mah lipo, 10~12 minutes runtime and flown anytime, anywhere, all weather performance easily beat any 250 or 450 flying performance:

http://www.supermotoxl.com/FPV/UAV-models-builds-and-flight-reviews...

You'll be amazed how this small little quad could performed as good as 250 and 450 size yet simple to build without struggle to setup PID and etc. Be sure to watch some of its video and gallery. You'll graduate more into advance level of flying and builds in shorter time once you master some basics. :)

• Regarding to your list of parts:

You will probably want more than one battery, because it takes only ~ 10 minutes to discharge it (to fly), and between one to 2 hours to charge it. So 2 to 4 batteries would be ideal. This also means that you will want a charger that can charge more than one battery at the same time (or buy more than one charger).

This is the charger I use: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct... and it can charge up to 4 batteries at the same time

And the power supply I got for it: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct... (I know, it's an overkill, but if later on I will get a more powerfull charger, at least I don't have to buy a charger also)

And also, if you get the same charger that I am using, and also, if you plan to charger more than 2 batteries at the same time, then you also need 2 of these: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct...  because the charger only comes with 2 JST-XH Balance Plugs.

Finally... if you don't know much about PIDs, then you should not get the KK2 (not yet anyways), especially if it's your first time flying a quad. It took me months to learn and figure out how to setup PIDs. For a beginner, you need something that works with minimal settings, and for that the Naze32 is amazing!!! https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct...

I built my own quad from wood, using the Naze32 flight controller, and the quad flies perfectly with default settings!

I uploaded an image of my wood quad :)

2014-10-04 20.08.24b.jpg

• Hi Jack,

Like Christopher says above a small RTF quadcopter is a really good way to start, lets you learn how to fly on a small relatively indestructible cheap copter.

UDI 818A and Hubsan X4 are good choices too.

Please take a look at my quadcoptersarefun.com site for a whole lot of useful information regarding your goals.

In particular, this page: http://quadcoptersarefun.com/ADroneOfYourOwn.html

I personally have two DJI Flamewheels  a 450 and a 330 and I think they are great.

And although I am using PX4 controllers on them the little KK board is also what I recommend for people who are just starting, it is easy to set up and easy to use.

My website has a page for both Flamewheel builds as well: http://quadcoptersarefun.com/2FlamewheelsBuild.html

I missed your post the first time around and just found it because of Christophers post above, I hope it gets to you in time to do you some good.

You can also contact me directly via the contact me portion of my web site and I will be happy to try to answer any specific questions you might have.

Best Regards,

Gary

• Wow, looks like we are all falling all over ourselves to be the first to help you out....
    So, first things first, where do you live?
    While I look up your list and research your choices for your build you should consider:
    1) visit your local hobby store. Tell them your the new checkbook in town and buy yourself a Blade nano qx. It's always nice to have s person to help you find replacement parts after a big crash so you don't order a cw motor when you need a ccw motor because it's hard to see an Internet order while crying.
    2) LEARN TO FLY. The nano is nearly indestructible. Unless your trying to prove to someone you can't break it. In which case you will auger in to the grass at the speed of sound to demonstrate its incredible rigidity and slam into the only sprinkler head for 20 miles in any direction.
    3) join the AMA. I had to, so you have to. And if that's not good enough, because I said so, that's why.
    4) join a local club. Because you joined AMA. And because if you hadn't, they wouldn't let you join. Nor would they let you play in theyre reindeer games.
    5) find the oldest guy in the club with all his fingers and ask his opinion on anything. Bring a sandwich, your not going anywhere soon. The longer you pretend to listen the more free stuff and advice your going to get. And since your 13, you can trade your willingness to listen to him into rides. Time and space will be effected and the field will seem twice as far away but you'll learn something new about your body, or his, with every trip that will make you appreciate your youth more.
    Learn to fly with the "RC ceiling fan" while you build your "I don't need a car anyway" copter and with any luck you won't need a "college savings" copter later....
    Can I call you Grasshopper?
    Christopher
This reply was deleted.

Activity