new 3DR radio, connection problems

Guys,

Got problems connecting this new 3dr radio!

433mhz using two air modules.
Ground station 3DR module connected using 3v3 diy drones FTDI lead to W7 64bit windows laptop.
Air module connected to apm2.5 using dedicated socket on apm

Read all the forum posts, done all the tests suggested.
Laptop end seems ok, link established, both radios show static green once both radios are powered and linked up.
Both radios have blinking red leds, brief flash once per sec appx.

In MP can config local and remote radio, upload fw to local radio, all setting are identical in both radios

SiK 1.5 on HM-TRP

format=25
serial_speed=57
air_speed=64
netid=25
txpower=20
ecc=1
mavlink=1
oppresend=1
min_freq=414000
max_freq=415000
num_channels=10
dty_cycle=100
lbt_rssi=0
manchester=0
rtscts=0

Traced the problem down to the remote radio connection to apm is not happening!

Connected the remote radio to FTDI cable on laptop, cannot establish a connection on this radio, Tried MP, 3dr config tool and PuTTY.
Can't connect, mp say <failed to enter command mode>, attempt to upload firmware results in a message <failed to identify radio>

Any ideas?

The laptop can't connect to the suspect radio, I'm using the correct port and tried all the baud rates.
What else can I try? Don't really want to return it to the US, I'm in the UK...

Peter

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Failing to enter "command" mode is a simple fix I have found ,you have to connect the remote radio (I think thats the problem one ?) by using your ftdi to pc adapter and then short out the pins explained in the 3DR APM site under optional hardware>Radios and it will point out that you short a pin to ground and this will make the radio go into 'command' mode ,then it's just a matter of reloading the firmware onto the radio and at the end default the settings on both to make sure it will connect then you'll be right matey!.

Hope this helps 

• I have same problem when I load ArduCopter V3.0.1 firmvare to my APM 2.5.

I have to come back to older firmvare.

Rudo

• Hello,

After two days of testing 3dr radios on the ground (first quick connection, directly, following setup instructions) and also in the field, connecting quickly and without problems (in several short flights)  today I have lost connection with air module. First, in on my test flight I start to have some signal lost for a while between GCS and airplain, in an intermitent way. Then slow response of mission planner orders and, after landing I did a complete reset of the system but I could not reconnect air and ground modules again, and now I think I am in the same situation than Peter. I have tried several solutions posted here but unsuccessfully.

I don't think that I have a soldering problem as suggested because I have been testing the hardware and it worked fine until today, and I saw how system have been losing performance progressively until it stop working.

I finally I have tried to change ground by air module to load setup or update firmware directly by FDTI cable but same messages of "Failed to enter command mode" or "Failed to identify radio", and green led flashing.

Please, someone could give another option or solution besides the module has been broken during soldering...?

Eladio

• Developer

Before you connect the radios to the APM, use the 3DR Radio Configuration program to communicate between them without having the APM in the loop.  You should be able to connect to each radio individually and then between them as a pair.

If you cannot establish any of those 3 connections, you have a configuration or a wiring problem.

• 3D Robotics

Check your soldering on the remote radio's connector? 

This reply was deleted.

Activity