new pan tilt design

Hi All,

This is prototype of my new pan tilt with fpv camera - video and pic attached. Here is a youtube link to the video also:

http://youtu.be/4DVQK8PP_rU

It has an arduino built into it and I am just now starting on the firmware.

I have designed it for use in a quadcopter or ground vehicle (hence LED lights) A version for use in a fixed wing aircraft would not need the LED's.

I am posting it here to get some feeback. The critical dimensions are;

Height; 110mm

Base diameter: 70mm

weight; <200g

I plan to possibly launch a kickstarter project to get this into production soon and would like some advice on integrating this into the ardupilot as a starting point.

Anyone any advice/suggestions?

I have been looking at the apm and can see roll and tilt is supported but not pan.As this has unlimited pan rotation it could give the ardupilot point-and-stare capability. Would it need its own IMU and GPS feed to do this or can it be integrated into the ardupilot?

Sorry to ask lots of questions, but now I have the hardware developed I really want to get this flying.

I have started building a quadcopter (3d printed, just like the prototype pan-tilt) and have an APM2.5 to fit.

My intention would be to make at least the software open source. would there be room for an ardupantilt along side arduimu/arduosd etc?

Looking forward to some feedback.

Many thanks in advance

Richard

camera_pt_v1.jpg

camera_py_v1.mp4

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Very nice. I am also working on a PTZ turret but have taken a different (cheaper?) approach. Can I PM you to swap war stories?

• Hi Richard,

Really nice looking rotating ball mechanism,

And really interesting the continuous motion you have accomplished with slip rings.

I wonder, might it also be possible to accommodate roll compensation internally in the ball head.

Since roll compensation is really only needed to compensate for vehicle roll it probably would not need to be continuous and might be able to be done with a local stabilizing IMU.

I can actually see that working if you were pointing the camera straight ahead, but maybe not for any yaw.

Just a thought.

• Developer

Wow! Very nice looking pan tilt mechanism. Does it use sliprings? Is the prototype 3D printed? Knowing where its pointing seems essential though if it justs accepts commands to go to a certain orientation, I guess that should be enough. Whatevers controlling it can look after the details!

Very nice piece of hardware anyway!

Andy

• Hi, thanks for the comments,

Yes, it uses a low profile slip ring I designed, there is a 6 channel in the side arm and 8 channel in the base.

Both axes have feedback which should give <1 degree accuracy, There is an arduino mini in the base controlling it, I am working on the firmware so it will accept both serial and standard RC inputs for positioning. Its currently 3D printed. 

A work in progress. My aim is to make at least the firmware open source, possibly some of the hardware also.

Richard

This reply was deleted.

Activity