Photo-mapping with UAV and GOPRO 2

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the UAV scene and have some questions about photo-mapping.  I'm looking to use a GOPRO on a fixed wing UAV to do a research project.  I want to take pictures, Geo-tag them, and overlay them into a map (2D or 3D).  What is the best way to do this?  What software and hardware would I need?  Is there a way to have live feed to my PC from my GOPRO?  My initial thought was to set GOPRO to time stamp each photo (take photos at a rate relative to speed), while I used Mission planner software to track coordinates of UAV.  Once back on the ground I would use time stamped pics to overlay using GPS way-points on mission planner, but I'm not sure if there will be a huge offset, between time and place.  I'm just looking for the easiest option, and I want to get the tools I need without spending a fortune.  I'm learning on the fly (yes, pun intended) and would really appreciate any advice. 

Thank you,

Josh

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Look's at Microsoft ICE, it's free, another possibility is to use the mobius timelapse.

• Yeah I have once although the method I used was a pain as I used a program (can't remember its name right now but it was freeware) that you could extract either every single frame from the video stream or every 10th frame etc.

It worked but wasn't great as the video resolution was less than that of a standard photo from the same cameras (I was using a GoPro Hero and two super cheap keychain cameras with narrow band filters on them).

GoPro's do work well for mapping but you do have to correct for the Fisheye effect, I used a program called PTLens to do that (cost about £5 and you can do all your photos as a batch so pretty quick).  Saying that I am now switching to using Cannon A2200 with CHDK (super cheap on ebay and light at 133g), although I have yet to put one in the air to see how good they are (within the next couple of weeks I will have though).

S.

• I just ordered a refurbished A2200, but where do I get the CHDK?

• Remebered what it was called (for converting video to jpg's) ... Free Studio 2013 - Free video to jpg converter.

S.

• I think GoPro cameras are not suitable for taking aerial photos for Aerial Photometry (i.e. mosaicking, georectification and orthorectification aerial photos). Just google it, you will find it why.

I suggest get cheaper and older canon cameras which CHDK works.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

• Pix4D said their software works great with the GoPro's, as long as you tell it that the image's have a fisheye lens.  Although it won't be as good as some other camera's, any suggestions for a specific camera that can run CHDK? How would the implementation of that work, is it directly compatible with any drones? Or will it just be taking pictures and you have to match them with the GPS data afterwards.  Thanks for your help.

• Canon SX260 probably the best canon camera with GPS to work with APM.

However, you don't need canon camera with gps. You can follow this tutorial below if you don't have a canon camera with gps. I think the tutorial below also applies to canon camera without a gps.

http://droneyard.com/2013/10/01/ardupilot-camera-tie-in-tutorial/

Welcome droneyard.com - BlueHost.com
          Bluehost - Top rated web hosting provider - Free 1 click installs For blogs, shopping carts, and more. Get a free domain name, real NON-outsourced 24…

Noli is right the GoPro sort of works but you will start getting annoyed with it after a while. Lots of IXUS at ebay just make sure they run CHDK.

• Hi,

Gps aditional for use with camera or other sensor.

Regards,

JCHI

This reply was deleted.

Activity